Chapter 55

A quiet focus creeps the corners of the room, tucking itself under the carpet and shyly exploring boxes still unorganized and curtains still drawn. Its feet pitter-patter with the on-and-off typing of keyboards, going and stopping in bouts of concentration.

The occasional mouse movement prompts a small squeak, a tiny dash of action to the creature's journey. It rolls with the motion of the scroll wheel, synced to the ups and downs of the circular device, a ball of energy.

Yawning, Dream slinks off the bed and trudges to George on the opposite side of the room, bypassing the green screen set up and leaning down to wrap his arms around George's neck and hang his head over George's shoulder.

In a squeak and a pop, George's focus is gone, crushed under the weight of one clingy Dream.

"Are you gonna stream soon?" Dream asks, just barely lifting his head to glimpse the screen before hanging it down again, "I wanna take a nap."

"I'm starting in a minute," George replies, looking over at Dream and lifting his hand off the mouse to run his fingers through strands of golden hair flopped upside down, "You gotta wake up."

Dream makes a noise of complaint, barely making an effort to do as George says, and it gets him an amused chuckle.

"Come on," George encourages, running his hand parallel to Dream's dangling hair and watching them swing back each time a motion runs its course, "You don't even have to be on-screen, just say hi to the audience."

When it's clear that Dream is enjoying himself draped over George's shoulder more than letting him do his job right, George once again smoothes a hand through Dream's hair, but this time grips onto the base instead of simply letting the silky strands fall through as usual. He gives a light tug in the upward direction, indicating that Dream should go sit somewhere now instead of using George as a personal pillow.

"O- ow!" Dream winces at the light pinch on his skull and, with great reluctance, at last stretches to his full height, "Why are you causing me physical pain?"

"Oh stop being so dramatic," George rolls his eyes, "I barely moved a muscle in my finger."

"Oh," Dream's voice suddenly takes on a suggestive tone as he sits onto the floor and stretches his legs, "Maybe you should go harder next time."

George chokes on nothing and his jaw hangs slack as disbelieving laughter betrays his shock, "Dream! Don't say that, oh my god."

Perhaps also having caught himself by surprise, Dream laughs too, embarrassed giggles that slide into a squeakier, sillier tone.

George scoffs, shaking his head at Dream's antics as he opens all the applications he had prepared in advance and checks his stream settings once again. The camera indicates that the lighting is decent, that Dream is not in the picture, and that the background is securely covered by a green screen.

"So, for the stream," George swivels to Dream, who sits to attention, "We're just going to act normal and I'll ask the mods to make sure that nothing weird gets through the donos, okay?"

"Yup, fine with me," Dream agrees, "But we can still flirt and stuff right? 'Cause we do that anyway. Normally."

"Hmm," George makes his contemplation face, "I don't know, do you think it'll get more out of hand since we're sort of an actual thing now?"

"Yeah, maybe," Dream shrugs, "But I feel like the fans might just think it's because the meet-up has made us closer or something."

"But maybe not that close," George points out, "They'll definitely make a case of it on Twitter."