Chapter 20

Steve looked out the small window while he softly rubbed Aurora's arm as she had fallen asleep on his shoulder. He could see the sun slowly making his way up. If his judgement was right they had been in that room for a whole day. Steve hadn't fallen asleep. He couldn't.

His thoughts were keeping him awake. He kept thinking about Y/N. Where could she be? Is she okay?

Steve looked at Aurora as she slept soundly. He remembered the time when the two of them and their mother would cuddle the same way and Aurora used to fall asleep on his shoulder. He had her back now. He would protect her the same way he'd protect Y/N. They were his responsibility and he was more than ready.

Steve was so busy remembering the old days he spent with his sister that he didn't hear the voices coming from downstairs. He heard the voices and woke up Aurora. "Rora, sweetheart. Wake up." He softly jerked her.

"What?" She said groggily. "Let me sleep." She said and went back to sleep.

"Wake up. There are noises coming." Steve yelled softly.

"Noises?" Aurora said and sat up straight. "What are you talking about?"

Steve kept staring at the door as he removed himself from his sister's grip and walked over to the door. "Stay there. Don't move." Steve said and pressed his ear to the door. He could hear gun shots and yelling.

What the fuck was happening?

That's when Steve heard his name being called out. "Steve? Where are you?" He heard Sam yelling.

Steve smiled as he banged his fist on the door. "I'm in here."

"Hold on. I'm opening the door." Sam yelled. Steve backed away from the door, waiting for the door to be opened. "Hey, Rogers, by any chance, do you know where the key is?"

"For God's sake just open the door, Sam. How the hell would he know where the key is?" Bucky yelled at him.

"Sorry. Bad joke." Sam said.

"Step back, pal." Bucky said and kicked at the door a few times. The door open and he stepped in followed by Sam. "Hey. You-" He began but stopped when he saw Aurora. "What the fuck."

"Yes. I know. But can we leave now? I'll explain everything when we go home." Steve said, "Wait, did you find Y/N?"

Sam shook his head, "No. We looked everywhere. But we didn't find her."

"Alright, we won't stop until we find her. Let's go." Steve said.

"Hey, we'll find her. Don't worry." Bucky said. "But we should go now. Here." Bucky handed him a gun.

"Thanks." Steve said, checking his gun. "Come on, Rora. Let's go home." He said, holding his hand out to her.

"Yeah." She smiled and took his hand as he led her out of the building. Of course they had to fight the way out. But they made it to their cars safely.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Steve, where are we?" Aurora asked as he led her to the elevator.

"I bought this house after you died." He quoted died with his fingers. "I've been staying here since that day. I couldn't step foot in there after what happened."

"This is nice. It's huge." She said.

"Come on. I'll show you your room." Steve said and pressed the top floor button.

"Fourth floor. Are you crazy?" Aurora chuckled.

"I know. It's a bit much. But me, Sam and Buck stay here together. They have there rooms below mine." Steve said. "Come on." Steve said, ushering her out of the elevator. "This is your room. Go and get fresh. I'll get you some clothes."

"Thank you." She said and hugged him.

"It's fine. Go on." Steve said, pulling away.

"Yeah." She said and went inside, closing the door behind her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve came back in the room and saw Aurora coming back in the same clothes. "Here. See if it fits. These are the only female clothes I have." He said, handing her some clothes.

"Are these Y/N's?" She asked.

"Yeah. You don't have a problem, do you?" Steve asked.

"It's fine." She said, "Now go. Leave me alone."

"Yeah. I'll send someone to get you some clothes tomorrow." Steve said. "Get some sleep."

Aurora nodded, "You too."

Steve shrugged at her, "I'll try."

"Good night, brother." Aurora said.

"You too, baby sister." Steve said and ruffled her hair and ran out of the room.

"Steve!" She yelled at him. Steve chuckled as he ran to his room. "I'll get you back for that!"

Steve chuckled as he closed the door behind him. He missed the banter that they had. Steve missed her too much these past years. But he was now going to make up for them. He'll do anything to make his sister happy again. Bring that spark back in her.

Steve's phone rang and he picked it up. It was Bucky. "Hey, what is it?"

"Can you come downstairs? We need to talk." Bucky said.

"Sure. Is Parker there with you?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I need to talk to him." Steve said.

"Okay. Come as soon as possible."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Did you know?" Steve asked Peter.

"I didn't, Mr. Rogers. I swear. I didn't know anything." Peter said. He was a little scared by the way Steve looked at him. He understood it. He works for Stark after all.

"How can I trust you, Parker? You're his man." Steve said.

"You can trust me, sir. If I knew I'd have my own gun pointed at you when you were taken." Peter said.

Steve thought about it. He was right. "How come you don't know? Aren't you always with Stark?"

"Yes, but I swear I never saw him talking to Pierce." Peter said.

Steve sighed, "It's alright. You can stay here for the meantime. But I'm trusting you. Betray me and I'll make sure you're dead myself. I don't want to do it considering you're a good friend of Y/N. But I'll do it."

"Yes, sir. I totally understand."

"Sure. Now go and get some rest. We'll talk in the morning." Steve said.

"Thank you, Mr. Rogers." Peter said and left the room.