CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

OH, YOU ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST!
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

OH, YOU ARE THE ABSOLUTE BEST!✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"That's what you chose to focus on?"

"Yep," Seraphina said while she continued to study the 'Marauder's Map'. She then opened it and her face showed that she was quite impressed by the beautifully drawn map of the school on the inside.

Not surprisingly, the boys had managed to get it all right. She could see every classroom, broom closet, common room and even the secret tunnels that stretched over the castle and out to Hogsmeade.

"Is this how you tell me that after five years on this school, you need a map to find your way around the castle?" Seraphina smirked at them.

"Oh, you are so funny," Sirius rolled his eyes in annoyance. It seemed like he was still riled up from his little chat with Malcolm Corner, and her attitude wasn't improving anything.

"I know," Sera shot back, enjoying that for once she was the one getting under his skin and not the other way around. "But honestly, what is this? Are you planning on selling maps to First Years?"

"That's actually not a totally dumb idea," James admitted, the wheels in his head visibly spinning. "But no, this is - well, I do not know what word to use to describe this wonderful creation."

"It is our life's work," Remus filled in.

"Our greatest achievement," Peter continued.

"Our legacy," Sirius added.

"Needless to say that if I ever have any children, they will be my second greatest accomplishment," James finished dramatically. "It's-"

"The Marauder's Map," they all finished together.

"Yes, I can read," Seraphina deadpanned. "And did you practice that?"

"No," the boys scoffed in unison.

"I don't believe you," Seraphina looked between the four with narrowed eyes.

"Once again, Sephy, you are focusing on the wrong thing," Remus told her, taking the map from her and carefully placing it on the sinks.

"Okay, I will try to be serious," Seraphina promised, sending a silencing glare at Sirius when he opened his mouth. "Don't," she warned him.

She looked back at the Map and suddenly it clicked in her head. The tracking charm they needed was not for a specific person or object. "You want to charm the Map to show everyone's movements," she mumbled in realisation. "That's brilliant."

"You sound so surprised," James tried to act cool by reaching backwards to lean against a stall. But since the door was opened he almost tripped over.

"I wonder why," Seraphina snorted in amusement at his complete failure to act cool. "So what's the issue here? Why do you need my help?"

"We are having a bit of a charms-problem," Remus admitted sheepishly.

"Talk for yourself, Moony," Sirius scoffed, leaning his back against a closed stall, and unlike James he actually managed to look both cool and elegant. "My charm is impeccable."

Deciding to ignore him, Seraphina turned to Remus, "Have you considered using the Homonculous Charm?"

"I did, but it's quite advanced," Remus said. "I found a book about it in the library but none of us could make it work for the entire school. The best we managed was getting it to track movements inside our dormitory."

A wide grin spread across Seraphina's face, and she turned to face James and Sirius, the two who deserved her smugness the most, "Sooooo - what you are saying is - that the four of you together aren't clever enough to get your little map to work - but you think I am. Truly, I am flattered."

"You are the best at Charms," Peter told her honestly. Unlike his friends, his ego wasn't hurt about having to ask for help. That earned him sharp glares from both Sirius and James. In response Peter spluttered out, "What? You - you said it yourself-"

"But not to her face," Sirius deadpanned.

"Aaw, I love you too, Black," Seraphina smiled sweetly. She then picked up the Map from the counter and folded it. "And since you asked so nicely, I will gladly help my favourite foursome."

"Wait, you are taking it with you?" James looked worriedly between her and the Map like she just had decided to take his baby - which in a way, she had.

"I need to do some research, which I can't at the moment since I'm momentarily banned from the library," she looked pointedly at Sirius, "and even after that I won't be able to concentrate with you four looking over my shoulder all the time. Give me a week-"

"A week?" Sirius asked in disbelief.

"Excuse me, how long did you four try to get the Map to work before asking for my help?" Seraphina dared him. All she received in response was him grumbling something incohearable under his breath. "That's what I thought."

"A week will be great," Remus spoke for all of his friends. "Thank you so much, Sephy. You are an angel."

"You two should take some lessons from Remus when it comes to asking for help," Seraphina told James and Sirius. She opened her bag to place the map in it.

"Wait," James stopped her, taking out his wand from his robes. He tapped the Map and said, "Mischief Managed."

Seraphina watched as the words disappeared and she opened the parchment to see that the map of Hogwarts on the inside also had disappeared, leaving a blank paper.

"To make sure it doesn't get into the wrong hands," James clarified.

"Well, I will have your life's work back to you in a week."

. • ⚯͛ • .

A week later, Seraphina entered Moaning Myrtle's Lavatory to find the four Marauders already waiting for her inside. On top of Quidditch practice, studying for her O.W.Ls and trying to solve their map-issue, she had barely seen them out of class. So this was the moment of truth.

"Did you succeed?"

"Were you successful?"

"Does the map work?"

"Did you manage?"

"Hello, Seraphina," Sera said sarcastically. "How lovely to see you again."

"Hello, Sephy, you look stunning as always," Sirius gave her a charming smile. Then he couldn't contain himself from asking, "Did it work?"

Seraphina reached into her bag, picked up the blank map and handed it to him, not saying a word. Sirius tapped the Map with his wand and said, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

She watched in amusement as the boys gathered in a circle around the Marauder's Map and marvelled at how it now showed the name of every student in school, and how it moved as they walked around the school.

Seraphina was definitely not prepared about suddenly being tackled into a group hug by the Marauders who all thanked her purposefully. "Oh, you are the absolute best!" James exclaimed.

"What can I say? When I set a goal, I reach it," Seraphina shrugged in fake modesty. "And while it has been lovely chatting with you four, have Quidditch practice to attend." She was about to leave when James stopped her.

"But - wait!" James exclaimed just as she had turned around. "Your name isn't on it."

"See it as my payment?" Seraphina looked over her shoulder at the dumbfounded boys. "I can't let you be one step ahead of me, can I?"