Once I've managed to settle myself I work my way into the crook of his neck, breathing him in, trying to commit this moment to memory. A moment, that even in the midst of complete pain and loss, I feel whole. 

  And once Chris turned on a music station, leaving it to play on low, I drifted off to sleep, curled up against him.

  So why do I no longer feel his warmth as I wake up?

  Rolling onto my stomach I lift my head slightly, reaching my arm up to push back the opening of the fort, looking for any indication of where that gorgeous officer of mine might have wandered off to. 

  "She lives!" I hear coming from the direction of my kitchen. I push back the corner a little further to see him coming into the room carrying a plate. And that's when the smell hits me. 

  Pumpkin.

  "Scooch," he instructs me, pulling back the entrance completely before he shuffles in next to me.  He carefully sets down a plate of Pumpkin cinnamon rolls before disappearing for a quick moment, returning with two cups of coffee. 

  "It's July. How'd you find pumpkin cinnamon rolls?" I ask, curiosity getting the best of me. 

  He passes me my cup before settling next to me, sitting cross legged. "It took a lot of effort on my part, but after scouring all of Jacksonville I found them."

  My  brow shoots straight up to the sky, urging him to tell me where he found them. "It's a famous recipe really. One that doesn't actually come from this area at all."

  My hand waves in a motion to try and get him to move this conversation along. "Try them."

  I roll my eyes wondering why he won't just tell me. I pinch a corner off and go to pop it n my mouth, but he stops me. He takes the fork off the edge of the plate and maneuvers it to pull out the center of a large cinnamon roll. 

  That's right. He gave me the best part of the the pastry.

  As soon as the sweet goodness touches my tongue, I recognize the taste and am immediately brought back to Lisa's kitchen in Boston. My eyes close as I think about that morning in her kitchen, waiting for Chris to wake up. A smile creeps across my lips as I savor the goodness of not only the food, but the introduction to my future family.

 I'm only pulled away by the feeling of Chris' thumb against the corner of my lip. When I open my eyes he's licking his finger. "You actually made your mom's cinnamon rolls?"

  "Made?" his head shifts side to side, with a shrug of his shoulders. "Not so much as Ma gave the recipe to Mila and she dropped them off on her way to Magnolia this morning."

  I look back at him in awe. "You're too good to me, Sergeant."

  "Just doing my job, ma'am," he smirks as he leans closer, an effort to find my lips.

  I put the palm of my hand over his lips, stopping him. His brow furrows, not enjoying the fact that I've thwarted his kiss. "Morning breath."

  He sets his coffee cup down, pulls my hand away from his lips and instead replaces it with my own lips. "Don't care," he says continuing to peck my mouth over and over again until I start giggling. 

  "Well, now that I know you didn't cook them, I'm really excited to eat," I tease him, causing him to stick his tongue out at me. 

  He stares me down as he takes the fork once more, digging into the center of another roll. I wait patiently for him to bring it to my mouth and yet, he instead opens his mouth and pops it through his lips, his glare never leaving my own.