Best Friends Life (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Let's take this table," he said, directing Dennie to a different spot.

Harrison locked eyes with Kennedy and they both shook their heads as if regretting what they had gotten themselves into.

"Okay," Kennedy said. "What do you need help on?"

Amber slumped in her chair dramatically.

"Everything! I can never pay attention because Dennie is ALWAYS distracting me!" she said, raising her voice.

"You start it!" Dennie shot back.

Before they could reenact the conversation they had already just had, Kennedy held up her hand, stopping Amber's retort.

"That's sweet, the couple that fails together, stays together."

Amber shook her head adamantly. "We are definitely not a couple." She rolled her eyes. "Our fathers have been friends since college and they started a law firm together that specializes in Political lawsuits. So Dennie and I have known each other our whole lives. I know enough about him to know that I would ever attach myself to that train wreck. Never happening!" Again she spoke loud enough for Dennie.

"If I'm a train wreck you're the conductor," he said. His response came too quickly, telling Kennedy that he wasn't listening to Harrison, his ears finely tuned to Amber. Amber opened her mouth, the indignation ready to spew out, but Kennedy stopped her again.

"Let's just get started."

Amber bounced and smiled. "Sounds good."

As Kennedy told Amber to get out her homework, she glanced at Harrison. He met her gaze and shook his head, both of them wishing detention had not been taken off the table.

*******

Outside on the steps of the school, Kennedy and Harrison watched as Amber and Dennie walked off to the parking lot, all the while jostling each other and laughing. Kennedy wondered how two people could be so clueless about what was so obvious to everyone else.

"Do you think either of them is aware?" Harrison asked.

"Nope," Kennedy said. "They are both dense. That or they are aware of it but don't know how it would affect their friendship."

"Apparently they've known each other from birth."

She smiled at Harrison. "You got that story too?"

Harrison ran a hand through his hair, weary. "Yeah, Dennie seemed to use it as an excuse for why I had to keep telling him to focus."

Sighing, Kennedy crossed her arms. "Same."

They continued to stare at the crushing couple as they climbed into two different cars and drove off. Kennedy cocked her head. Right here before her was a chance at something new. An interesting distraction. Harrison narrowed his eyes at her.

"What?" he said. "You have your thinking face on."

Grinning, Kennedy spun towards Harrison. "You know we could-"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because if they wanted to date they would be dating. We are not getting involved."

Kennedy poked him in the chest. "But they can't see it. We would merely be helping nudge what is already there."

Harrison pointed at her. "No. We are not playing matchmakers." He eased back. "Maybe they don't want to date, maybe they are aware of how it will change the dynamic of their friendship."