Donovan tossed the containers into the cart. "I get this every week, Carter. Why would it change today?"

Scowling, she waved her hand to them. "Because it goes bad fast and smells."

"I'll eat it before it goes bad."

"But what if you don't."

Donovan didn't understand what happened to Carter, but occasionally during her period, it was like she lost all rational and logical thought. Her emotions took over and she wanted to argue with everything he said or did. The instances were few but when they came Donovan felt like he should find a bunker to hide in.

"Then I will throw it away," Donovan said, pushing the cart away.

Distance. He needed distance.

"Why don't you go get the veggies and I'll get the meat," he suggested.

"Fine, but I'm not getting squash."

Before Carter walked away, Donovan snagged her arm and spun her towards him. He kissed her, a demanding kiss. Demanding her to return to the mostly level-headed person she usually was. For a second he thought it would work, but she shoved him away.

"Stop," she said. "That doesn't work every time."

"No, but it works 40% of the time and so I will keep trying."

Carter rolled her eyes and walked away. With a shake of his head, Donovan went to the deli section of the store.

"What can I get you?" the worker behind the counter asked.

"Half a pound of bacon, half a pound of turkey cut on the thick side, and a cleaver."

The man started to move but paused at the last request.

"What was that last part?" he asked, hesitantly.

I can't kill my wife in Whole Foods.

"Nothing. Just the turkey and bacon."

The man nodded and hurried off. I would run from me too, I'm almost as bad as Carter right now. I would pity the idiot who crossed her today. I only have the misfortunate of deciding to shop today. Donovan dragged a hand through his hair. That had been his bad decision, not the apples.

The man returned with Donovan's ordered and handed it over.

"Thanks," he said, accepting it.

As he swung the cart around, Carter approached with bagged vegetables.

"Did you get sliced ham?" she asked.

"No, we never eat ham."

"I want some."

"Okay." Donovan turned around. "Maybe this time I'll get that cleaver as well."

"What?"

"Nothing. How much ham do you want?"

Carter wanted a quarter pound of sliced ham and Donovan had the strongest suspicion that the ham would stay in their fridge until they eventually threw it out. Done with the produce section, they headed into the aisle. Donovan curt down one that they didn't need anything from. Well, didn't have anything on their list but had something on Donovan's.

"Why did you come here?" Carter said.

Donovan didn't answer, only stopped at the chocolate. He took a bag of chocolate pieces and opened it. He handed it to Carter.

"Eat this," he said.

"Yes, because chocolate is the answer to everything."

Donovan said nothing and held it out. Rolling her eyes at what she clearly thought was his dramatic gesture, took the bag and ate some of the chocolate. When she swallowed, she held out her arms as if to say: see it didn't do anything.