37

A/N: '++' This signals a switch between Lottie and Thor's POVs

This was the final fucking straw I was going to set this town ablaze, they thought because I was quiet and kept to myself, that meant I was a pushover and yeah I was a little bit but when you started fucking with the people I loved and my livelihood that wasn't going to fly. I picked up my phone and dialed the number that I had only used once for a plumbing issue a few weeks after I moved in and that was almost 6 years ago.

"Charlotte," my landlord, more like a slumlord, answered with the same voice a parent used to keep a child from losing it.

"Dale, would you please inform me as to why you're trying to evict me when not only did I just renew my lease a few months ago but I've never been late on rent and have been the perfect tenant?" I was trying to keep my voice as steady as possible but I was seconds from losing my cool.

In the weeks following Thor's visit to the police department, I went from being the sad ex-girlfriend of the town's golden boy to being a fucking pariah. Whenever I went to the store or did anything people stared like I was a 9-foot-tall baby-eating giant and the few times Thor and I went out together I couldn't help but tell quite a few people to fuck off. The initial shock I got don't get me wrong I expect stares, I mean his whole family was murdered and they expected him to have died only to  reappear damn near 25 years later and it turns out he was dating the black ex of the town Prince Charming. But damn you'd think Thor was a killer the way that starred in disgust and some had the nerve to cross the street or clutch their bags when they saw him and YET I didn't miss some of those same bitches checking him out for a brief moment. This town was so fucking ass-backward when did survivors get treated like this?

Dale sighed before stating "Look I get that it seems rash, but you know when you signed the lease you signed it as one person would be living in the home"

"And one person IS living in the home" I countered,

"That's not what I heard" he bit back

"Well, you whatever you heard is a crock of shit. Does my boyfriend come to visit and stay for a while, yes? But so did my ex before him and I never got an eviction notice for that? So I gotta ask Dale this wouldn't be because of who my boyfriend is? Because let me tell you something Dale, the last time I checked he was the survivor of a heinous fucking crime that your generation could have possibly helped prevent."

"Ho-how dare you! Look, I'm giving you 30 days, that is more than enough time to find a new place, now I have to go" He sputtered before hanging up.

"FUUUUCK YOU DALE!"  I screamed at the dead phone line, before chucking my phone across the room, wincing when I heard it crack.

"Fuck me!" I screamed kicking around my bed like a child, I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes, I tried closing them tight to keep them from falling but then my mind started playing over and over how shitty everything was starting to become. I didn't get and it made no sense to me. Growing up fat, black and female life was hard. I was used to the stares and whispers behind my back, but to have it happen from people who once smiled at me and asked me how my day was and seemed to really want to know hurt. When I broke up with Thomas I hadn't gone out told the town what he did with that officer, and I'm not sure what was told to us breaking up but I should have known them when I got the first "oh she thought she was going to be able to keep him" look that this town's kindness was a facade.

This town was smoke and mirrors of fake pleasantries where they were all willing to turn their back on you the moment you projected anything more than what they expected of you. I should look at my being kicked out as a good thing, I could leave all these shitty people behind. I could go live with Thor until I figured out what I wanted to do the mountain always brought me peace, but long term I couldn't do it I enjoyed I confront too much and that was something else Thor and I would need to talk about, our forever plans, because no matter how much more of this bs I had to go through I wasn't leaving his side and it was a choice made easier because I knew he wasn't leaving mine.