13

"So let me get this straight. After running away from law enforcement; from 11 to 18 you found yourself living in shelters?" My mom asked, trying to make sure she heard everything right.

"Then once you turned 18 you returned here, and have been living here for 15 plus years, under everyone's nose?" Thor nodded.

My parents weren't saying anything but I could tell they were in shock and trying so hard not to show pity in their eyes.

"So where do you live? Because it obviously isn't an old folk home." Thomas raised his eyebrow in disbelief.

"I have the same question. As the law around here, I can't believe I've never seen you around before." Samuel chimed in.

"Yeah because you sir would be a hard one to miss." Nora added her two senses in.

"No offense but I don't feel comfortable enough to tell you guys where I'm living, and I promise you Officer Shaw I am not squating anywhere I'm not supposed to be." Thor said confidently.

On the drive home I decided it would probably be best to stretch the truth a little. The main reason being I didn't feel comfortable with the Shaw's knowing exactly where Thor lived. Of course, they would never be able to navigate the forest to get to his house since if you didn't know exactly where you were going it was like a maze trying to get through the densest part of the forest. To be honest I had no idea how I managed to find it the first time I went.

"Well, I think since my girlfriend has been visiting for over 8 months I have a right to know." Thomas crossed his arms looking at Thor as if he was a little boy and not a 33-year-old man.

"Thomas I get where you are coming from but if Thor isn't comfortable telling you where he lives, then you are just going to have to respect that," I said trying to get him to chill out

"Babe I don't like the idea of you going to visit another man God knows where. I mean I really wish you would have told me he wasn't an old man." Thomas eye Thor suspiciously.

"Alright let's all calm down. Thomas, Mr. and Mrs. Shaw I understand your concern and I appreciate it especially when my daughter is involved. I'm going out on a limb here going to say you guys live in a pretty small town and if what I learned about small towns is true bad gas travels fast in a small town. I'm sure Thor not telling you is more about his own right to privacy than anything else. And my daughter has never been one to consort with criminals so I'm sure like he said he isn't doing anything illegal." My dad finally said after sitting there quietly just looking between all of us.

He was right, my biggest concern telling the Shaws was they all had big mouths. Yeah, I could tell Thomas only but then he would tell Sam and Sam would tell Nora and she'd tell everyone. It was already a risk just having them meet him but they were my family here and I hated hiding things from family, and who knows maybe one day they would grow to be like family to Thor as well.

"How are you not worried?!" Thomas screeched standing up causing my mom and dad to look at him like he was crazy. "I'm sorry." realizing his manners taking a seat again.

"You're forgiven." My mom declared before turning her attention back to use. "It isn't that we aren't worried, that a man who was thought to be dead is now friends with my daughter. It's more so I trust my daughter to make decisions that are best for her since she is a grown woman." My mom said emphasizing 'grown woman'  "From what we heard Thor hasn't been anything less than kind to Charlotte, and he saved her from getting lost when she wandered off the hiking trail. If you trust and love my daughter like you guys said you do then their friendship shouldn't be an issue." My mom finished with a smile patting my thigh, her way of letting me know she was on my side always.