A Reverie From Ma Chérie [15]

°-TW-°: this chapter contains depictions of  ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS. This also contains implications of "underage" (consenual) sex. Although this story is set in the States, I live in the UK where the consensual age is 16+. Please note that Eren and Mikasa will both be 16+ in this flashback. So, to me, it won't be something serious but perhaps it might trigger to other readers. I'm not sure if you guys will like Eren very much after this...Here we go, it will be told in a series of multiple flashbacks in Mikasa's POV.

                                             ----------------

                                                       ~

                                                       ~

To say they met in the record store is something a little cliché, yes, but it was the honest truth. He was sweet then, something straight out of a romance novel. Ruggedly handsome heartthrob with the smouldering green eyes to match. The bad boy with a broken past. Back then, she thought she could be the protagonist. The girl to unlock his heart and tear down his stone cold walls. If it was something out a novel, it had to be true. That was how it always worked. The authors wouldn't have written it if it really couldn't have happened, right?

The authors lied.

She couldn't be the protagonist. Protagonists were supposed to be headstrong, thoughtful, beautiful and always have everything under control. But, after her time with him. She felt none of those things. She was broken, pathetic, ugly and scatter-brained. When boys are usually just supposed to "have that effect" she didn't think it was the kind he had. The kind that made you question your own sanity. The kind that always put themselves above you.

She was never enough.

For a time, she ignored it. She let it happen because this girl was weak. She was too trusting and wanted nothing more than someone to commit their full attention to her. He did. For a short while. The struggle for his affection was like telling a snake to walk. She could never win. She would always be just a couple of steps behind, unable to keep up with his occasionally ludicrous demands. Yes, there were times when he cursed her, told her he hated her, threatened to dump her. Made her feel more worthless until she begged because there was nothing like satisfying his ego. 

He always had the upper hand.

But then, there were his moments when she caught him off guard. When he'd hold her and tell her that no other girl would ever make him feel the way she did and that he would always want her. She should have differentiated the definitions of want and need sooner. She should have done it before it was too late. But...was it just so bad to simply want to be loved? To want to valued by someone? Everyone she loved had gone. He was everything to her.

The authors lied; she was never enough. Eren Jaeger always had the upper hand.

---

Mikasa Ackerman's fingers skimmed over AC/DC, The Cure and some of the vinyls from My Chemical Romance. Where were the band she was looking for? Suddenly, a tan and stretched across and placed back a record in its casing. Mikasa read the front.