Shallow Cuts [14]

𝙉𝙤𝙬 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜: 𝙎𝙩𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙪- 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙪𝙨𝙨𝙮 𝘾𝙖𝙩 𝘿𝙤𝙡𝙡𝙨                                               

                                                     ~

Eyes that were once the depths to the haven inside you darkened in an instant. Crouching down, you collected the box you had dropped, trying to find a kind of distraction from the panic embodying you and swallowing you up whole. Brushing your fingers against the carpet as you collected the bandages, you attempted to calculate a believable lie that wasn't going to leave you tongue tied. It was no use, he would see through it. There was no point getting yourself into a muddle over this.

 "That's mine." Was the first thing you said, reaching out to grab the photo from his hands.

There was no pretending it was from years ago. It was Armin who had taken and printed the photo of your beach escapade a few weeks ago. Hanging it up, you had felt something incredibly warm, not knowing that I was only going to cause you distress later on. Eren took a large step backwards as you moved forwards. The pair of you dancing an irrational tango. He held it high above his head, angling his arm so it was out of your reach no matter how you stretched.

 "I think I fucking gathered that! Just answer the question and stop avoiding it, goddamnit!" He shouted.

 Gritting your teeth, you felt your own anger rising. He had no right to be in your room uninvited, no right to taking your things. Most of all, this was a complete invasion of your privacy. The heaps of clothes were still resting on your bed, your desk was covered in textbooks and your underwear draw was partially open. Subtly, you moved to close it shut as you replied him.

 "Eren, just let me fix your hands. Put the photo down and let's just forget about it." You sighed.

 "No." He spat out, harshly.

 From that answer alone, you knew that he wasn't just going to let this slide. Building your resolve, you just decided to give him what you wanted. It would be one less secret to keep by your pillow at night. Maybe you'd finally have some peace of mind with something off of your chest. Drawing in a deep breath, you stared at the picture in his hands, refusing to look in his eyes. The eyes that were so full of care just a few moments ago.

 "Yes. Mikasa is my best friend. I've known her since I was five." You admitted, hanging your head low.

 For some reason, this was shameful. As if you were embarrassed by the fact you had other friends and the pair of weren't even a couple! 

Eren stumbled back slightly, eyes bulging with incredulity. Although he had asked for it, a miniscule part of him was hoping it was all a hoax. That it couldn't be true, there could be no possible way. He looked as if the breath had been knocked out of him.