Chapter 23

For anyone who hasn't watched Dead Apple, I advise you watch it to actually understand what's going to happen in this chapter :)

- - -

The helicopter shuddered slightly as I squinted to stare out the window.

"What the hell is happening here?" I asked as Akutagawa didn't answer.

"Shit. I can't see a thing through the fog." I remarked.

"I'm going to land." Akutagawa said as I nodded in agreement.

We had been flying for hours, I tried contacting Chuuya but I was sent to his voicemail.

I tried calling Higuchi and Gin too, but only the same response from either of them.

Which was nothing.

Suddenly, we had flown through some fog but hadn't though much of it, but the further we flew, the fog only got thicker until we could barely see anything in front of us.

"It's the Port Mafia building." I pointed, barely making out the huge building in this fog.

Akutagawa carefully guided the helicopter to land on the roof as I opened the door.

"What is this?" I asked as the fog sent a shiver down my spine.

There was nobody on the roof, not even the usual guard.

Akutagawa and I exchanged glances before walking into the building, the only sound was silence, other than the sound of our footsteps.

"Where is everyone?" I mused out loud as we made our way down the stairs.

As I opened the door to the room, there was the sound of something clattering to the floor making us pause.

"You heard that, right?" I asked, mumbling softly under my breathe as Akutagawa nodded in response.

Pulling the knife out my sheath, I flipped it and walked towards the sound of clattering.

I poked my head out the corner, heart thumping loudly before sighing audibly in relief.

"Oh, hello Yuki." I said as the black cat meowed at me, jumping off the rack of weapons and brushing up against my leg.

"What is it?" Akutagawa asked, turning around the corner.

"It's fine it's just a cat-" I started but a there was a flash of something from the side as I barely dodged a blade rushing to my head.

It skimmed past, a mere hairsbreadth away as it slammed into the wall.

And when I say it slammed into the wall, I mean it seriously slammed into the wall.

It barrelled through the plaster, sinking into the wall and exiting out, leaving a hole, revealing the hallway.

I whipped around, pulling my blades out and turned to face... myself?

I didn't even have time to wonder if I was hallucinating or if the fog was somehow poisonous as another blade came rushing towards my head.

I grabbed Yuki, leaping back as I tackled Akutagawa to the ground.

"Am I dreaming or is that me?" I asked as I rolled off him and leapt up to my feet.

Because I was sure that was me.

Or was the shape of me.

Like a doppelgänger.

"Rashoumon-" Akutagawa started but suddenly cut off, however, I ignored him, eyes trained on my doppelgänger.

The other me, raised her arm, the knifes around her floating as they came barrelling towards me.