Chapter 28 - The palace

Luke stopped the car in front of the palace and looked at Winter. 

"Take this, you'll want to keep that as a surprise." he said while pointing to her mark. 

He handed her a big beautiful silver fur collar. 

"Fox" he answered. 

"It will hide Arsen's smell." 

As Winter stepped out of the car a chill ran over her spine. A small delegation with the king stood in front of the massive palace waiting for her. 

Luke looked concerned at her. 

"It's not too late to change your mind." he said while searching her eyes. 

"It is." she answered. 

"Keep just my part of the link open." 

Winter nodded her head. 

'I'll try to resist Arsen's command as long as possible. But that can only happen if I am at ease. Keeping close contact with you is the only way that will happen.' 

Winter smiled and hugged him. 

'Go join the others.' she said. 

The other cars stood hidden just out of sight for the king, scent and sound masked. But if needed they would be able to arrive in minutes. Winters hand trembled as she turned around and walked over towards the king.

"Alpha Winter." 

The king bowed a little. 

"Finally." he smirked. 

Winter didn't move she just looked him straight in the eye. 

"Let's get this over with." she answered. 

"Gladly." The king replied with a dirty smirk.

The king walked up the big stairs towards the palace, Winter followed him. Immediately the wolves from his escort surrounded her forcing her to keep her pace behind the king. 

The king pushed the double doors to the palace open and Winter took notice of every small detail, the number of guards, their strength, possible entry and exit routes. All details were passed to Luke. She needed to be clever about this, or she wouldn't make it out alive. 

They walked through a long hallway until he finally pushed open the doors of what seemed to be his office. Winter took in the room, it looked like a beautiful old library with a gigantic, majestic desk in the middle. A big fire place warmed the room, surrounded with big leather chesterfield chairs, making the room radiate even more power.

The king wore a dark grey suit, in another life time he could have been described as beautiful, but Winter could clearly see that his character destroyed all that. 

"We'll have a drink here before diner." He spoke. 

Winter nodded her head and looked at the books.

 "My collection, it's one I started a long time ago with my father." 

The king spoke as he noticed her interest. And for the first time Winter caught a glimpse of the man he once was, before the mating thing had turned him mad. Maybe he was still there? 

"It's impressive." she smiled softly. 

Her finger danced over the rug of the books as she read a couple of titles. Lost in thought she walked through the room until she bumped against the king. 

"I am sorry." she stammered, a bit confused by his presences. 

"This can all be yours." he softly said as he steadied her.