The Start of Something New

Start from the beginning

"Found it!" he called out.

The brothers all huddled around him as the attendant lifted the velvet tray from inside the case and set it before them. On it was a silver woven band with diamonds embedded in it. Donovan reached out and picked it up. It was simple but not, the woven pattern a subtle complexity.

"It's her," James said.

Donovan grinned as he looked at his brothers. James laughed and shook Donovan, Clint beamed, and Brock ruffled Donovan's hair.

"The first of us to fall," he said.

"I don't think I mind," Donovan said.

"Not when it's Carter's arms your falling into," James teased.

Shaking his head, he held the ring out to the attendant. "I'll take it."

After guessing Carter's size, Donovan paid and slipped the small velvet box into his suit pocket. The pressure in his chest vanished at the feel of the box resting over his heart.

The brothers exited the store and turned to Donovan.

"Are you going to do it tonight?" Brock asked.

"I can't imagine sitting with this," Donovan said. "I know where I want to take her."

"You're going to dress up, right?" James asked. "You're giving her a ring, go all out. This is your girl. Make her feel spoiled."

"You have your tux," Brock said. "James is right. Every girl should feel special while being given a ring."

"Okay," Donovan said, grinning. "Wish me luck."

"She already said yes," Clint said. "You don't need luck, you already got her."

Donovan nodded and hurried to his car. The ring in his pocket made him want to run the whole way to his apartment, something about driving felt too slow. But he held the impulse in check.

Showered, shaved, and dressed in his tux, Donovan opened the ring box and looked at the ring. He couldn't help the rush of nerves and excitement that built inside him. As he snapped the box closed, a knock came on his door.

Standing on the other side was Mason. Mason eyed Donovan's attire.

"Hot date tonight?" he asked. He then cringed and grimaced. "You're dating Owens, never mind. I take back what I said."

"What do you want, Mason?" Donovan asked, confused by Mason's presence.

"You took the Howard file home," Mason said. "I need it and so stopped by to get it."

"All right."

Donovan retreated into his apartment and Mason took a couple of steps inside. Donovan retrieved the file and walked back to Mason. When Donovan handed it over, Mason glanced down, noticing the ring box. He jerked his head up, eyebrows raised.

"I see," he said. He eyed Donovan again, his expression turning skeptical. "A tux, to propose to Owens..."

"I already proposed," Donovan said. "This is me giving her a ring."

"And she knows that."

"No. It's a surprise."

"But she knows you're going somewhere fancy."

Donovan crossed his arms, not sure where the pointed statements were coming from.

"Mason, what are you getting at?"

Mason shrugged but looked doubtful. "You're overdressed. I've known Owens for years and I've seen her in a dress, what, once? Maybe. Do you really think she wants James Bond when she's dressed...well how she normally dresses?"