He shakes his head this time. "I have not. Can't say I haven't been offered the opportunity, but I try to be an upstanding officer of the law." He reaches over, grabbing Opal's hand in his own, lacing their fingers together. "Now, I want to hear your answer."

  "I can't," she laughs out.

  "Yes, you can."

  "I can't!" she whines now. 

  "Opal," he says sternly. "Tell me."

  "I can't. I want you to still think only good, sweet things about me."

  "Okay, that did not help my curiosity at all, babe. Tell me," he squeezes her hand tightly. 

  Opal groans and pouts, unwilling to reveal that her thoughts on the topic matched his, too nervous to admit it out loud even though she's the one that asked the question. 

  "Fine. Don't answer. My turn to ask a question."

   Opal decides that seems fair enough, although she's probably more worried about what's going to come out of his mouth now. They've not had many conversations on the topic of intimacy, outside of Opal revealing her reclaimed virginity. 

  "Now," he teases, "no matter what the question is, you have to answer it or you have to answer the question you passed on. Got it?"

  "Is the question one of my least favorite qualities I like about you?" He whips his head to look at her. "Because that would be the fact that you're demanding," she jokes with a wide smile. 

  "Well, I was gonna take it easy on you. But, after that, you leave me no choice."

  "Bring it, baby," she sasses back.

  "Will you sing me a song?"

  Opal groans at his request. "Sing or answer the other question. Your choice." He holds up his hands, weighing the options. 

  "Fine."  Opal straightens herself up more in her seat, turning off the radio that's been playing since they left Jacksonville. 

He spends his nights in California
Watching the stars on the big screen
Then he lies awake and he wonders
"Why can't that be me?"
'Cause in his life he's filled with all these good intentions
He's left a lot of things he'd rather not mention right now
Just before he says goodnight
He looks up with a little smile at me and he says

If I could be like that
I would give anything
Just to live one day in those shoes
If I could be like that
What would I do?
What would I do? Yeah
Now in dreams we run

She spends her days up in the north park
Watching the people as they pass
And all she wants is just a little piece of this dream
Is that too much to ask?
With a safe home, and a warm bed
On a quiet little street
All she wants is just that something to hold onto
That's all she needs, yeah

If I could be like that
I would give anything
Just to live one day in those shoes
If I could be like that
What would I do?
What would I do?

I'm falling into the same dreams
We run away

If I could be like that
I would give anything
Just to live one day in those shoes
If I could be like that
What would I do?
What would I do?

If I could be like that
I would give anything
Just to live one day in those shoes
If I could be like that
What would I do?
What would I do?

If I could be like that
I would give anything
Just to live one day in those shoes
If I could be like that
What would I do?
Lord, what would I do? Yeah
Falling in
I feel I'm falling in to this again

 Chris looks back and forth between Opal and the road in front of him as she sings. His heart aching, knowing that she's longed for a more normal childhood than she had, hers being complete opposite of anyone else she's ever met. The further along the song goes, he notices her eyes filling with tears, beginning to brim over.

  He flicks his blinker on, pulling off onto the side of the road once he's cleared of all traffic. "What are you doing?" Opal asks, swiping at the tears that have graced her cheeks. "Are you alright?"

  Once the car is in park, Chris releases his seatbelt before releasing Opal's as well. "Come here," he whispers as she leans towards him, his arms wrapping around her. "I love you, so much Opal. I wish I could change your past, help you in some way."

  She sniffles against his shoulder. "You already have," she whispers, pulling back to look him in the eye. "You've helped me accept my past, made me realize it doesn't have to determine my future." His thumb caresses her cheekbone before bringing her lips to his own, sweetly. "You're giving me what I always wanted," she murmurs against his lips.

  "I promise you, until my dying breath, I will do everything I can to make your dreams a reality, Ope." He holds her tightly for another moment longer, as her tears subside. 

  "What say we get the rest of this road trip finished?" she jokes, pushing him back towards his own seat. 

  "Yes, ma'am." He waits until they're both buckled once more before he merges back into the oncoming traffic. 

  "And," Opal starts, covering her face with both of her hands, feeling the redness becoming stronger, "my choice would be sex in a public place too." 

  Chris claps his hands together, laughing loudly. "Oh, we are so gonna figure out a way to make this happen after we're married!"