Chapter Forty Four

When Mildred was seven years old she thought it would be a wise idea to climb up some of the rocks that stuck out of the water. She was confident at first. However, that confidence was quickly diminished when she slipped on one of the wet rocks and skinned her knee. She cried as she pulled herself down, the salt water burning her cut while blood oozed from it. She ran straight to her father who promptly asked for Dr. Yueh to bring him something to fix her knee up.

As he bandaged her knee, he taught her an important life lesson; before doing something or making a decision, always access for danger. It was advice that taught her well. She used it numerous times as she grew. She had accessed the current situation she was in two years ago, but never uttered a word of her own plan. On the outside it looked as if Mildred didn't have a backbone. She was just letting Paul do everything.

That wasn't it. She needed people, especially the Fremen, that her brother was capable of leading. He could make tough decisions. She needed to see the powerhouse that her brother, her mother, her husband and her could be. She didn't want anyone to ever think they could wipe her family out again. So, she sat there was she watched Paul fight, then kill Feyd-Rautha. She watched while Paul bargained with the Emperor. Then, it would be her time.

She finally stood from the chair she sat in once the Great Hall was cleared out and the now former Emperor was sent back to his home world. There would be a wedding for Princess Irulan and Paul in the coming weeks. That wasn't the top priority at the moment. It was over. The realization was enough to almost cause her breakdown in the middle of the room, but she didn't. She kept her composure.

She was free. They all were. Her family was safe. The Atreides would continue.

"What happens next?" Jessica asked.

Paul opened his mouth to speak, but Mildred silenced him with her hand.

"Before I begin, I want to thank everyone who has helped us get to this point and I want to recognize those we lost." Mildred paused for a brief silence. "I knew from the time I was young that I would be Duchess one day. Until years ago I thought I would be the next leader of the House Atreides. I was wrong. Paul, I know you wish to remain on Arrakis and rule from here for a while, but this is not my home. It never was. Caladan is. That is why I'm abdicating my role as Duchess."

"Mildred!" Her mother said horrified.

"Let her finish." Paul said even though he knew what his sister's next words would be.

"I wish for Paul to be the House Atreides Duke. Our father would be elated if you were. Since you are now Emperor, Paul, I want you to create a house for Gurney, House Halleck." Mildred continued.

Gurney stepped forward towards Mildred. "Mildred, you don't have to do this."

She looked up at her husband. "I want to. You deserve this more than anyone. You served my family, our family well. My father loved you. I wish to give you Caladan as your fief. You could rule there. The people will respect this wish."

"I-I...I don't know how to lead." He told her.

"That's why you have me. If you wish, I could be the Duchess of House Halleck in addition to you being the Duke."

"If I wish?" He asked with a smile. "You're my wife. I wouldn't want anyone else to fill that position."

"The decision is Paul's, though." Mildred said.

Paul stood serious for a moment, but then she saw that he too smiled. It was the first genuine smile she had seen since they arrived on Arrakis. He reached out to clasp Gurney's shoulder. "I would love nothing more than to give Gurney his own fief. I would also like for you to take control of Giedi Prime. It's been left without a ruler now. Make you turn into a good place."