Chapter Twenty Seven

The morning of the arrival of Imperial Representatives met her early. Gurney had to be up even earlier than she, to ready the military for the ceremony, but it was still too early for their liking. He had pressed a soft kiss to her head and told her he would see her later. She was ill the moment she woke up. She threw open the blanket and ran towards the bathroom to empty her stomach. The realization hit her moments later.

This was the second time she had been sick in a week. That didn't include the nausea she had experienced. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes were wide. Face pale. A hand flew to her stomach. No. No. There was no way. She had been taking a contraceptive. She needed to see Dr. Yueh immediately. She knew her mother wanted her to join her and Paul for breakfast, but it couldn't wait.

She didn't even change. She just threw on a thick robe and walked briskly to the infirmary. If anyone asked, she would lie and say she just needed something to help her sleep. She stopped at the door and knocked softly. The door opened and one of Dr. Yueh's assistants greeted her with a smile. "Lady Mildred."

"I just needed...." She trailed off.

The older woman noted the disoriented look in the younger woman's face. Lady Mildred was rarely in such a state. She was usually collected, poised. She was no Bene Gesserit, but she was, however, very observant. There was a pale green look on her face. Her hand was clutching her abdomen. "Dr. Yueh is currently away. Perhaps there's something I could help you with?"

"I-I..." Mildred wasn't sure if she should trust anyone with the potential news at the moment.

"I assure you, Lady Mildred, I can be quite discreet. Women come see me frequently for their...needs."

Mildred nodded slowly and walked past the woman. She heard the door close and lock behind her. The infirmary was entirely empty. Good. No people meant no gossip. The older woman, Shea, motioned for her to sit one the examination table. Mildred noted that many of the items and furniture that were there before, were gone. She supposed they had begun packing for Arrakis.

"You think you're with child?" Shea asked as she stood in front of Mildred.

With child. Mildred hadn't fully come to terms with the possibility yet. It couldn't come at a worst time either. All she could do was nod her head.

"I can check." Shea told her and pulled out a tablet. "Open your robe. I need to do a quick scan. You're taking a contraceptive, right?"

"I am." Mildred answered the question.

There was a knock at the door. Mildred's eyes widened and Shea's flew to the door. The woman excused herself for a moment and Mildred prayed that no one would find out she was in there. She heard the door open slowly. Shea muttered something, but Mildred didn't know what. Then she heard the one voice she didn't want to hear. Gurney.

"A few of the soldiers have fallen sick, well, I suppose it's nerves for today. I just wanted to see if there was anything I could give them that would work quickly."

"Yes, I suppose everyone is on edge today. Give me one moment." Shea said before closing the door. She hurried back to Mildred. "Your husband-"

"I know." Mildred took a deep breath in. If she were indeed with child, Gurney would find out anyways.

"Do you want me to allow him inside?" Shea asked.

"That's fine." What was Gurney going to think when he saw her? Would he be upset? Mad? Or just remain his usually composed self. She heard him let out a 'what' and then a shuffle of footsteps.

When Gurney laid eyes on Mildred sitting in the infirmary, his heart sunk slightly. She was still dressed in her nightclothes. She hadn't even brushed her hair. Her face was deathly pale. He walked to the side of her. "Mildred, are you hurt?"