Chapter Four

Mildred was a witty, curious child at age ten. She often got in trouble for the words that would spill out of her mouth. The words weren't necessarily rude. She just lacked a filter. She had started to grow into her role as the future Duchess. She had become a little less unruly and more poised. She often accompanied her father on diplomatic visits. She rarely spoke at the visits. Her father just wanted her to observe.

Mostly, she enjoyed learning to fight. Slowly but surely Gurney taught her more and more. She moved on from a stick to an actual sword to fighting a dummy to fighting a real person. Mildred had a feeling that Gurney was still holding back quite a bit, but she was still quite young. Not only did she enjoy training herself, she always enjoyed watching Gurney and the other members of the army train.

They fought with such power and speed that it amazed her beyond words. She hoped that one day she would be able to fight just as well as they could. She would often escape her tutors to watch training sessions. She would hide behind crates or weapon holders and watch quietly for hours. Occasionally, she would get caught.

"What's around them?" Her five year old little brother, Paul squeaked next to her.

"A shield." Mildred answered.

"What's that for?" He asked.

"To protect them when fighting."

"Does it hurt?"

Mildred rolled her eyes in annoyance. She loved Paul to death, but he asked too many question. She just hoped she hadn't been as tiresome as him at that age. "Not really. More like...jarring. You can feel the impact."

"There you are!" A voice exclaimed.

Both Mildred and Paul froze. In fact, everyone standing in the training room froze and turned to stare at the children. She instantly recognized the voice of Paul's tutor.

"Uh oh." Paul mumbled. "Busted."

"You shouldn't be in here." The tutor nagged.

"But, Millie-" Paul went to argue.

"Mildred is older. She's already completed her lessons for the day. You haven't. Now come along." She interrupted her brother.

Mildred tried her best not to giggle as Paul was dragged away with sulk on his face. When she turned back around she found most of the soldiers had dispersed. All with the exception of Gurney. He was looking at her with great disapproval.

"It's rude to eavesdrop." He spoke as Mildred walked further into the training room.

"I wasn't eavesdropping. I was simply observing my soldiers. It's important that a leader knows what every person in their House is doing." Her voice oozed with sarcasm.

Gurney scoffed. "Your soldiers?"

"Correction; my future soldiers." She reworded her phrase will sitting on one of the tables in the training room.

All he could do was shake his head at the young girl. Over the past four years, he had grown to enjoy teaching others to fight. More specifically Mildred. At first he had been unsure of the idea, but she turned out to be a fast learner. She often required correction. She would get too conceited at times and that could be dangerous for her in the future. Soon he would begin training her younger brother, Paul.

"Are you excited about tonight?" Mildred inquired.

Tonight would be not only eventful, but monumental for Gurney's life. He would be promoted to Warmaster and become the leader of House Astreides' military. He had worked extremely hard to earn the title. He had fought and fought. Trained. Become Duke Lego's right hand man. Trained the future Duchess. There was no one who deserved the job more than him.