Chapter Twenty Four

Mildred supposed one of the downfalls of belonging to a House was that you never truly had a break from your duties. You could only abandon work for a few days before you had to return. It made the second and last morning of their honeymoon difficult. She didn't want to get out of the bed. She didn't want to gather her things and get onto the transport. However, there was a small amount of excitement. As if her life with Gurney was just starting to begin.

Upon returning to the castle, they would be allowed to drop their things off in their new wing before having to join her father's meeting. It would be the first time Gurney ever saw their room. She had only seen it a handful of times. The particular wing they would occupy was mostly used for guests. It would be a space for them to make their own.

She felt Gurney touch her lower back as the transport landed. "Ready?"

"Why so ominous?" Mildred ask with a teasing tone.

"Because I have a feeling we're about to be bombarded with a hundred questions and decisions." He said.

Truer words had never been spoken. She could already see Sara standing at the edge of the platform, ready to greet the couple and take them to their room. The young woman's hands were clasped tightly in front of her and she was rocking back and forth on her heels.

"Lady Milred. Lord Gurney." Sara greeted with the dip of a head. "How was your trip?"

"Much needed." Mildred told her.

She glanced out the corner of her eye. Gurney stood almost frozen. It was the first time anyone referred to him as 'Lord.' It made the reality of the marriage sink further into him.

"Allow me to show you to your room. I know you have to attend the meeting soon." Sara told them.

"Nonsense. I know where the rooms are. Thank you, Sara." Mildred spoke.

A sly smile appeared on her servants face. Oh, Mildred thought. Sara thought they wanted to be alone to enjoy...married couple things. It almost caused her to laugh. While it would have been nice, there wasn't enough time to do anything other than drop their bags off.

"Lord Gurney." Mildred said in a low, teasing tone.

Gurney chuckled. "Now that is something we won't be doing. Just my name will suffice."

"We'll see about that. Besides, Sara is very insistent on formalities. Kind of sounds like someone else I know."

"It's my job to uphold the importance as well as defend the leaders of House Atreides. It's what I'm paid to do, at least."

She shot him a smile before slipping her arm through his as they walked to their designated wing. It wasn't nearly as big as the one she shared with her family, but she didn't mind. It would be more than enough for the two of them. It was quiet. Not a soul in sight. Mildred perhaps thought that everyone was simply still asleep. It was still early in the morning.

They stopped outside the first door on the right side of the hallway. It was a smaller room with a desk situated to the side of it.

"This will be my office I presume. Unless, you prefer to share?" Mildred asked.

"I'm fine with the office I have. It's better to be closer to the military anyways." Gurney told her.

They continued walking until they stopped at the third door on the left, their bedroom. It was similar to the one Mildred had just larger. It had a large fireplace with chairs situated near it. A bed on the opposite wall. A bathroom. Unlike her childhood room, she had a balcony with a view of the water. It would be odd sharing a room at first, but she knew they would get used to it eventually.