Chapter Twenty Two

While Mildred had enjoyed the romantic aspect of the ceremony and the fact that she was now married, she was particularly excited for the reception. There would be food, endless amounts of drinks, music, dancing. She would get to see people she had not seen in a while. Mostly, she would get to enjoy it with Gurney by her side. They would enter the room through a tunnel of soldiers. Eight soldiers stood on either side of the entrance with their swords lifted in the air.

It was a tradition in the military to walk through after one married someone in the military. At the end, one of the soldiers would light tap the wife's bottom with their sword. Of course it had to be Duncan. She found that he purposely hit her too hard which caused the guests to laugh. Never once did Gurney leave her side. She kept her hand either wrapped around his hand or his arm.

A table had been set up for them at the front of the room. They moved there first so dinner could be served. Gurney pulled her chair out for her before taking a seat himself. The table had a bouquet of flowers on it as well as a bottle of Caladanin wine and two glasses waiting for them. She poured them both a small glass, needing the alcohol to relax her slightly. Under the table, Gurney found her hand once again.

He leaned over and pressed a soft kiss against the bare skin of her shoulder. "I don't think I'll be able to keep my eyes off you tonight."

"Well," she said, trying not to blush. "That is the plan. I was worried you wouldn't like the dress."

"That was very unlikely, Mildred. I do like you most when you've been training for hours. Your hair starts to stick out of whatever updo it's in and is plastered to your face. This is a nice change, though." He admitted.

"I wish I could bottle up the happiness I'm feeling now. Save it for a rainy day. I know it won't always be like this. Not in our world." She spoke quietly.

"I will try everyday to make you happy. I have to see you smile or laugh once a day." His tone was teasing, but she knew he was being serious.

The servants laid a plate of food in front of them filled with things native to Caladan. She wasn't particularly hungry. All she wanted to do was dance and drink, but drinking on an empty stomach was not a good idea. Occasionally, the two of them would glance up from one another and look around the room. Everyone seemed to be in good moods. A soft song could be heard playing in the background. Murmuring could be heard all around them.

She knew after dinner was served there would be dancing and then Gurney and her would take a moment to receive guests. Followed by the serving of their wedding cake. She knew this was entirely out of Gurney's comfort, but she found that he was doing well. Of course, he still remained his expressionless self, only smiling at her, but he was polite. He knew what his new position was and he was already doing well.

"How have your soldiers responded to all of this?" She asked curiously.

"If there is any negativity, they aren't sharing it with me. Most of them are hopeful with us being married. They know that any decision made regarding them will be well thought out, because it will also affect me." He explained.

"Good. I do hope to have your opinion on subjects regarding the military. Everyone already respects you greatly. This should improve things." A smile prickled on her face. "More Duchess's should consider marrying their Warmasters."

Gurney laughed. "Not all Warmasters are like me. It would be rather difficult for some of them to submit themselves to a woman."

"True. Tell me, Gurney Halleck, do you find it difficult to submit to a woman?" She asked.

"If they are all like you, which they are not, then I don't." She could hear the playful tone in his voice.

"Well, I think it's time for a dance." Mildred suggested.