Chapter Fifteen

Mildred was unnaturally quiet the rest of the flight home. Never in all the years that Gurney knew her did he ever see her so tense and silent. Part of it was nice since she could talk endlessly, but part of it pained him since he knew the cause of it. The moment they landed she took off her straps and practically marched out of the transports.

She was angry, no, pissed. Why had nothing been done to stop the slavery on Giedi Prime? She knew that her father would be in a meeting with his advisors and security. It would be the perfect opportunity to bring up the subject. She needed to change and shower, but she didn't much care at the moment.

"Mildred!" Gurney yelled after her. "Mildred! I know you're angry, but you can not go in there without a clear conscious."

"I can do as I damn well please." She murmured and kept walking.

He stopped in front of her and held out his arms to stop her from walking. "Mildred, listen to me. I know what you saw is horrific. I lived it, but you can't go in there and start making demands to your father."

"You forget yourself, Gurney." She warned.

Never in her life had she ever spoken so cruelly to him. She regretted her tone the minute the words came out of her mouth. She watched him straighten and let her pass. She pushed past the doors that led to where the meetings were held and all eyes were on her an instant. She knew her father was going to be mad that she barged in, but she didn't care.

"Why has nothing been done on Giedi Prime about the slavery?" Mildred demanded of her father.

"I apologize for the intrusion, my Lord. I tried to stop Lady Mildred." Gurney spoke to Leto.

Duke Leto could see the anger written all over his daughter's face. It was the same face he made when he was also displeased. What he didn't understand was her sudden interest in the Harkonnens. He also didn't appreciate her bursting into the room.

"What do you mean, Mildred?" Leto asked.

"Slavery seldom exists anymore in the galaxy. In fact, there are strict laws forbidding it. Why do the Harkonnens get a free pass?" She asked.

Leto's eyes landed on the people sitting around the table. They were either gaping at him or his daughter. "Clear the room, please."

Everyone left as they were told. The only person that lingered was Paul. He looked at her with so much concern that it actually alarmed her. She gave him a small nod to tell him that she was okay.

"Mildred, you just can't come in here and make demands." Her father told her sharply. "Especially things you don't fully understand."

"I understand perfectly, father. I saw what they did with my own eyes. We can't just stand there while girls younger than me are used for their..." she couldn't even finish her sentence without choking up.

"The Harkonnens have deep pockets. Their power, their manipulation runs deeper than any of us known. Who knows what or who they have control over." He tried to explained.

"It doesn't matter if they can bribe people. What matters are human lives who are suffering."

He could feel his own anger bubbling inside of him. "If we were to wage an attack against the Harkonnens, they would murder us all in seconds. When you're the Duchess, you can go to war with them, but it will be the end of House Atreides. They won't only kill your men, but they kill you as well."

She didn't say anything. She just gave her father one last look before walking out. She knew she had her father's temper at times. However, it never had become as bad as it just did. She needed to hit something. She avoided anyone standing in the hallways as she walked towards the training room.