Chapter Thirty Five

Mildred's family always threw the best dinner parties. The menu and decorations were always perfectly chosen. How the party flowed, who was invited, it was all done well. She didn't know if she had her mother, father, the staff or all three to thank. She had hoped that one day she would have the ability to be a perfect host just as her parents were, but those days were far away.

"Gurney, would you mind helping me with my zipper?" Mildred asked.

Gurney looked up at his wife dressed in a soft, lilac colored dress with her hair drawn back into an intricate hairstyle. He had never seen her in the color before, but it suited her well. He finished buttoning the cuffs of his jacket and walked over to do as she requested. Though, he allowed his hand to linger on her back for more than necessary.

"Ready?" He asked and offered her his arm.

She slipped her arm through his. "I suppose I am. Have I told you how much I enjoy when you dress nicely? You play the part of my consort very well."

Gurney noted her teasing tone, the light smile that played on her lips. It was the most giddy he had seen her in days. He allowed himself to stare at her for a while, taking in every feature even though he had memorized her face a while ago. Her small nose. Her full mouth. The way her dark hair never seemed to fall into place the same way. He wished to hold onto the moment forever.

"Well, my love, I shall try to dress like this more often." He told her and lifted her hand to kiss her knuckles lightly.

"Are you alright, Gurney?" She asked as they walked.

"I am. Sometimes, I just enjoy looking at you." He admitted causing her cheeks to burn pink.

As they entered the Great Hall where the dinner would be held, she noted the fire that was burning in the fireplace. Her mother had sent her a list of all the guests that would be attending and she looked around the room, making a mental checklist of what they looked like; Dr. Kynes, the stillsuit manufacturer, an electronics equipment importer, a water shipper, a representative of the Guild bank, a spice parts dealer, and a few young women. Her mother and Paul were mingling in and out of groups.

Of course, Thufir, Duncan and several other guards were in attendance. She had also been told to pay special attention to the water shipper, a man by the name of Linger Bewt, who had a closer relationship to the Harkonnens than they would have liked. The man had already begun a debate about their conservatory. A man who did not look like he belonged approached the couple.

"Gurney." The man greeted her husband with the shake of a hand.

"Tuek. Thank you for accepting our invitation. Let me introduce you to my wife, Mildred. Mildred, this is Esmar Tuek. He's a smuggler." Gurney introduced the two of them.

Mildred raised her eyebrow when he mentioned that the man was a smuggler. It was certainly an odd guest, but she offered him a kind smile. "Thank you for coming and please enjoy yourself."

"What a fine, young wife you have." The smuggler noted with an almost hungry look.

Gurney cleared his throat. "Did I mention that she's the Duke's daughter."

The man's face changed to almost despair. "Oh, my Lady. Please excuse me. I haven't met the Duke yet."

"A smuggler?" Mildred question quietly as they took their seats.

"Your mother's idea." Gurney whispered to her. "To pose as a distraction and evidently he's more powerful than he looks."

She said nothing. Instead, she trailed behind her parents and Paul into the dining hall. Her parents sat on opposite ends of the table while Mildred and Gurney sat side by her side closer to her father. She gave Gurney a small smile when he pulled her seat out for her. Her eyes landed back on her father who bore an angry expression and she couldn't help, but wonder why? Her father stood from his chair, hand wrapped around a cup holding water.