Chapter Twenty Six

A bowl of Mildred's favorite soup with a side of crusty bread and a glass of Caladanin wine sat on the table in front of her untouched. She felt guilty for requesting the meal, but then not eating it. She just didn't have an appetite. She had spent most of the day with Paul watching videos, reading books about Arrakis and just talking. It was a rare occasion when the siblings were able to just spend time with one another. Paul would usually have lessons. She would have work to do. She had to admit, it was nice.

The door of the small dining hall opened and she immediately knew it was Gurney. Anyone else would have announced themselves. She was happy to see him, finally, after such a long day. There was much they needed to discuss, but she wanted to at least have dinner with her husband before that.

"Sorry I'm late. As you can probably guess, a lot of preparations need to be made." He told her before leaning down to kiss her.

Gurney sat down to the side of her. He looked down at the food and wine that had been set up for him and then back at Mildred's untouched food. "Your favorite."

"A very good observation, my dear husband." She said.

"Then why aren't you eating it?" He questioned. He knew why. He could see it written on her face, but he needed to hear the words from her mouth.

"Not hungry." She mumbled.

"Millie..." he trailed off. "Whatever you decide, I'll support you. Leading Caladan on your own would be a good experience-"

"But I would be away from you and my family for who knows how long?" She finished. "I don't think I could bear that. However, I don't want the people to be disappointed in me if I chose to go to Arrakis."

"They won't be disappointed in you, Mildred. They know you have a hard decision to make."

"And this...supposed attack? Who's to say after they attack everyone on Arrakis that they won't come here?" She asked.

He shook his head. "You don't know that, but speaking from a soldier's perspective, I would trust you."

She sighed and leaned back against her chair. Part of her felt like screaming. Part of her felt like crying, but she did neither. "Sometimes I wish I were a soldier, then I wouldn't decide anything. I would just go wherever I was told."

"You would be a terrifying soldier, but soldiers and future Duchesses need to eat. So, eat or I'll feed you myself."

She smiled at him for the first time all day. "You treating me like a child."

"It's because you're acting like one." He shot back.

She finally ate a spoonful of the soup. "Could we go for a walk after we eat?"

"Anything you want."

Little by little, she felt her energy returning and felt her mood lightening up. They kept the rest of the conversation light, not wanting to talk anymore about Arrakis. After they finished eating she went to change out of the heavy gown she wore. She chose a nude, satin, nightgown. It had tiny straps and hugged her body. She had also taken her hair out of the updo it was in and let it fall freely around her shoulders.

Gurney stood on the other side of their bedroom door, waiting for her. When he saw the particular gown she wore, he raised an eyebrow. He could see every curve along her body. "You're going to be cold."

"I want to feel the breeze against my skin." She told him.

That wild woman. He chuckled to himself and began to walk along side of her. Their wing of the castle just happened to be the closest to the ocean. They just had to exit through one door and walk down stone stairs and they would be at the shoreline.  As soon as they opened the door, they both felt the salty breeze touch them. Mildred shivered slightly as her body adjusted to the differing temperature.