Chapter Twenty Three

Sunlight filtered in through the large window causing Mildred to stir. She had not meant to sleep in as late as she did, but after last night, she was tired. For a moment, she almost forgot where she was. She was used to waking up in her home, not the vacation house. She rolled over to the side pulling the thin sheet over her bare skin and looked at Gurney who was still asleep. Her husband.

She still could not believe that they were married. He would be her forever. She reached out gently to touch his cheek with her finger. He looked so peaceful and she was scared she would wake him. Memories of last night flooded her brain. A tangle of bodies. Heavy breaths. Holding one another close. It had been perfect. Just perfect.

She watched his eyes move beneath the closed lids and she withdrew her hand. Slowly, he began to wake up with a smile on his face.

"Good morning." He spoke sleepily.

"Good morning." She said.

Her eyes landed on the scars along his back. She hadn't really looked at them last night. She could just feel the raised flesh under her fingers. They bore a resemblance to the one his face. She felt herself frown, imagining the horrors he went though.

"Mildred?" Gurney asked, noting her frown.

"Yes?" She stopped tracing the scars.

"I know it looks bad. It...was bad. You can't dwell on it though. One day, I will get my revenge." He spoke.

"I know." Her voice had quieted. "Would your family have liked me?"

Gurney drew her in close, her head rested on his chest. "They would have loved you. My mother would have liked your strength. My father would have teased you endlessly. My sister would teach you about every flower and plant she knew."

"I would have taken care of them, given them the best life possible." She whispered. "I will never understand the cruelty of people."

"People become cruel when we dehumanize them. We deprive them of the basics; love, compassion, empathy and they lash out. It's happened for centuries." He explained.

She lifted her head to look at him with a smile on her face. "So, wise you are, Gurney Halleck. I think your advisement will serve me well when I'm Duchess."

"Advisement? Ha. I plan to be retired by then. I will simply sit in on your meetings playing my baliset in the background." He teased.

"You mean to abandon me?"

He shook his head and pressed a soft kiss against her lips. "I will never abandon you, Mildred."

"You know things are only going to grow more difficult when we get back? We'll be pulled into different directions. As much as I will protest, there will be more expectations from you."

"Well, I think it might be too late for me to back out now. You overthink too much."

"Paul calls me a realist."

Gurney chuckled. "That sounds quite accurate. No more talk of duties. Okay? How about some breakfast?"

"Mmmm, can't we just lay here all day?"

"We could, but eventually we'll grow hungry."

"Fine." Mildred told him. "I'm going to bathe though. You could join me if you would like?"

He drew patterns on her back with his finger. "As much as I would like too, I'm rather hungry. Let me make us something to eat."

"Okay." She agreed. She watched him get out of the bed first and slip a pair of trousers on. She gaped at him, still relishing that he was her husband. It still felt like a dream. A dream. She had realized that she had never told Gurney about her dreams. She needed to tell him, but what if it scared him? They were already married. It couldn't do that much damage.