Chapter Twenty Nine

Days before they were set to leave Caladan for Arrakis, Mildred stood in the middle of her mostly empty room. Most of the furniture, clothing and smaller items were already packed up ready to go when they were. It made the reality of the situation set in further. She was leaving her home. She tried to think of some positives, but found it difficult to do so. She could still back out if she wanted too, but she couldn't do that to Gurney.

She needed a walk. She needed to get away from watching the servants pack her things up into transportation boxes. Just as she was leaving, her father was standing in the hall. He hardly ever came to her private wing. If he needed to see her he would send someone to fetch her.

"Father? Is everything okay?" She asked.

Leto looked up at his young daughter when he heard her voice. She was walking towards him slowly wearing one of her tunics and a pair of leggings underneath. She looked just as stressed and exhausted as he did.

"I just wanted to walk with you. I know the last few days have been hectic and we haven't got to see one another a lot." He explained.

"I would love that." She said genuinely.

He offered her his arm and she took it. "I wanted to say how well you handled the Herald of the Change's questions days ago. Most people would have folded under such scrutiny."

"Well, my father taught me a thing or two about being resilient." She said with a smile. "I do wonder why he was asking so many questions."

"If I had to guess it has something to do with us being sent to Arrakis. They mean to weaken us." Her father told her.

"They? I thought the Harkonnens just disliked us. You're talking about the Emperor too." What her father was saying was borderline treason, not that she disagreed with him. She just didn't think he would say it out loud.

"I know. I guess I'm trying expect them unexpected at this point. I do have one question; are you happy?" Leto asked.

"Am I...happy?" She said with a raised eyebrow. "Of course I am."

"I just worry that I may have been too hard on Paul and you."

Mildred reached out to steady him. "Never, father. We both understand our duties. You've been the best father you could be all while leading a planet."

"Thank you, Mildred. You know I am proud of you, right? I always have been."

"I know you are." She said with a smile. "I do have one question. Do you doubt my ability to lead because I am a woman?"

Leto looked at her slightly taken aback. She had never asked him such a question before. He thought he had made it clear that he did not care that she was a girl. He would treat her just the same as any man. "Never, Mildred. I do fear that it'll be harder for you. Not everyone will share my viewpoint on you being Duchess. It won't be easy for you. I just trust you have good people working for you and that you have their support."

"I hope you're right." She said just as a pair of advisors approached her father, needing him. He excused himself and she headed towards the training room. She knew Gurney would be busy with Paul, but he promised her a lesson to brush up on a few skills before they left for Arrakis.

From the other side of the door she could hear the sound of weapons clashing followed by the sound of Gurney yelling. She hesitated before slipping inside. Her husband hardly ever yelled. In fact, she had never heard him yell in all the years she had known him, but something had tipped him off. That's when she saw Paul crouched down behind the weapons table.

"Mood!" Gurney yelled. "What's mood got to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises, no matter your mood. Now fight!"

She hung in the back corner of the room not wanting to disturb the pair. She watched as the two resumed fighting again. This time Paul seemed to be actually fighting, or rather defending himself. Gurney came at him with ferocity that she only saw a few times herself. She knew he had been on edge recently due to the move, in fact they all had been, but he mostly kept it to himself.

She thought for a moment that Paul had him when Gurney fell back on the ground. Paul's blade rested against his neck glowing red. Then she saw that Gurney would have killed him as well. His knife was touching Paul's side.

"I have you." Paul said breathlessly.

Gurney smiled at him. "Aye. But look down my Lord. You would have joined me in death. I see you found the mood."

Mildred remained in her hidden spot as the two switched their shields off and stood back up. She could see confliction in Paul's eyes. Something was nagging at him, but she didn't know what.

"Will it be that bad?" Paul asked.

Mildred froze. It was an innocent question, but it was one they all had. Paul just had the guts to ask it.

"You don't get it do you?" Gurney asked. "You don't really understand the grave nature of what's happening to us."

She could hear the emotion in her husband's voice as he grew closer to Paul.

"For eighty years Arrakis belonged to House Harkonnen. Can you imagine the wealth? Now they're losing Arrakis to us. You need to be ready. Your eyes, I need to see it in your eyes! You've never met Harkonnens before. I have. They're not human. They're brutal!" He yelled.

"Gurney." Mildred spoke calmly. She walked into the middle of the room where the two of them stood. She nodded at Paul to excuse himself while she gently rested a hand on Gurney's arm. "He's just a child."

Gurney scoffed. "He's almost a man."

"I know this has been difficult on you. I can not even begin to imagine, but it's stressful for all of us. I know you want Paul to be prepared for anything, but he will be. He was trained by Duncan and you as was I. We'll be okay." She explained. She brought her hand to rest against the scar on his cheek. "If you're angry, take it out on me, not him."

He settled into her touch and closed his eyes. "I'm not going to take it out on you. I do, however, want to practice with you more."

"I'm happy to do that." She said and dropped her hand. She made her way over to the weapons table and picked the usual one she used. "No shields."

"No shields?" He asked.

"Yes. In a realistic situation, I wouldn't have a shield." She pointed out.

She turned to face and swung her blade towards his side in a sweeping motion. He moved quickly to dodge her attack. The faintest smirk appeared on his lips. He moved his sword towards her neck then near her hip, both times she was able to deflect him with her own sword. They were both quiet as they fought. Eyes fixated on another. The only sound that could be heard was the the sound of metal clashing and footsteps shuffling.

Mildred flipped the blade over in her hand so she could strike him near his stomach. She stopped when the blade was inches from piercing his skin.

"Very good, Lady Mildred." Gurney said in a teasing tone. His free hand captured her wrist and he twisted her arm around behind her causing her to drop her sword. He stood behind her, her arm still pinned to her back. She could smell his woodsy soap that he used mixed with the musk of fighting. His breath was hot against the skin of her neck.

He pushed her against the the table that held the weapons and nudged her legs open with his thigh. She knew exactly where this was going. She just prayed that no one walked in on them. He released her arm long enough to push her pants down to her ankles and she assumed to undo his own pants. His hands gripped either side of her hips and he pushed himself inside of slowly with strained gasp.

Take your anger out on me, that was what Mildred said. So, he would. Fighting her wasn't enough. He needed to fuck her instead, not that she minded. He took one of his hands and buried it in her hair as he moved within her. He leaned over her and pulled her head back, exposing the skin on her neck. He pressed sloppy kisses along the skin. It was over as soon as it started. That his intention at least.

The last thing he wanted to do was he caught fucking Mildred in the training room. They came together. Mildred gripped the edge of table, her body shaking around him. He held onto her close as moaned her name into her shoulder. When they were finished, he fasten his pants and helped her stand up.

"I'll see you at dinner then." He said with a cheeky grin.

She playfully hit his chest. "Do you feel better now?"

"Oh, much better." He said and snaked a hand around her waist.