Chapter Ten

The dress she had chosen had ultimately been a gift from her parents. Mildred wasn't one for extravagant gifts or things. She had no problem rewearing dresses and clothing she already had. However, today was special and they wanted her to feel special as well. It was a long, A-line style with a slit up to her upper thigh. It was dark green in color. She wanted to wear something that represented her house.

It had long, flowy sleeves that cuffed around her wrists. It had a deep v neck in both the front or back. One wrong move and she would potentially flash every guest in attendance. Her hair had been pinned up with a dainty, gold head chain. It was much more subdued than the usual ones her mother wore. The head chain had been her mother's idea, of course. She actually didn't mind it though. She found it quite pretty.

She would be escorted by her father into the hall where the party would be held. Friends from various planets and Houses had been invited to attend. Mildred had wanted to keep it small, but tradition outweighed her wants. She would have rather it been her parents and Paul having a nice dinner. She would brave the crowd though. She would be the dazzling daughter her parents needed her to be.

"Oh, Mildred! You look beautiful." Her mother cried before wrapping her in her arms.

Her relationship with her mother had actually improved the past few years. She didn't know why, but her mother had stopped pressuring her to marry and choosing someone based on bloodlines. Perhaps her mother had started to see her as a woman with feelings rather than a disappointment. Their relationship still wasn't where it should be, but there was hope. Paul would still be the favorite at the end of the day.

"Thank you, mother." Mildred said with the best smile she could muster.

Next to her mother stood her father and brother both dressed in their formal uniforms. Her father was next to embrace her with a soft kiss on the top of her head.

"I blinked and you became a young woman." Her father said and she swore she saw tears forming in his eyes. "I remember the day I held you for the first time."

"Dad..." Paul groaned. "Let's not get all nostalgic."

Mildred giggled. "I'm still your little Millie."

"I know and you always will be." He told her while offering her his arm so he could escort her inside.

There had to be at least a hundred people there. All to celebrate her. Suddenly, she felt slightly embarrassed. She didn't know why. Maybe it was all the smiling faces staring at her as she walked inside. They no longer saw her as a little girl who would run through the halls of the castle. No, she was Mildred Atreides, future Duchess of Caladan. Finally, some freedom.

Soft music was playing from the musicians in the corner of the room. Part of her hoped that Gurney would play a little for the crowd, but he was nowhere to be found. She felt her lips frown slightly. It couldn't have been anything she had done. He had given her a gift after all. She heard the clink of a glass and looked to see her father standing in the front of the room.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to thank you all for being here to celebrate Mildred's birthday. I thought I would give a small toast as well." Leto began and then his eyes found his daughter's who was beaming at her father. "When we found out our firstborn was a girl, I was very nervous. Never in all of history in House Atreides did we have a female ruler. However, as I watched Mildred grow and learn and train I found myself feeling more at ease. I think that I can confidently say that Caladan is going to be in wonderful hands when my time ends and Mildred's begins. So, let us raise our glasses to our future Duchess, my Millie. Happy Birthday."

Mildred felt a blush run along her cheeks as everyone toasted her. It was rare when her father spoke so vulnerably about her, but she appreciated it nevertheless. After the toast ended, the party could begin. Food and drinks were served. Conversations began. She tried to say 'hello' or 'thank you' to everyone who attended. As accustomed, the first dance was to be between her father and her followed by her brother. If she were married it would have been with her husband.