Chapter Forty Three

The castle had hardly changed since the last time Mildred had been inside. Any reminder of her family or the attack had been wiped completely away. It was as if they never lived there. Memories came flooding into her. Her father, alive. Her killing someone. The dinner party. Exploring with Paul. All the moments she shared with Gurney. It was difficult. She pressed on towards the Great Hall.

"I remember the day we first came here with your father. I didn't like this place then and I like it less now. One of our caves would be safer." Gurney spoke quietly next to her.

"Spoken like a true Fremen." Stilgar said and turned to Paul. "Perhaps we should reconsider?"

"This place is a symbol. Rabban lived here. By occupying this place we will seal our victory for all to understand. Send men through the building. Touch nothing. Just be certain no Harkonnen people or toys remain." Paul told him and looked to Gurney. "Gurney, have an escort bring my mother and Chani. Does she know about our son yet?"

"The message was sent, m' Lord." Gurney said.

"And I want a captured Sardaukar. We need to relay a message." Paul added.

Gurney nodded his head, stealing one look at Mildred before doing as Paul asked. The siblings found two chairs and sat down. For a moment, they sat in silence. Mildred knew Paul needed it.

"Alia killed our grandfather." Paul finally spoke.

Mildred looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Oh. I suppose that's good. A little funny that he was killed by a toddler. I know you won't give me a straight answer, but I'm going to ask, are you okay?"

Paul drew in a deep breath. "I will be. None of that matters right now. What matters is that we're successful.  In order for that to happen, I need to take the lead on this. You can send out the official warning to the Emperor, but-"

"I thought I was already doing that." She said with a sly smile.

"I know this hasn't been easy for you, Mildred, but I thank you for trusting me. If I had to guess, a duel will ensure. You cannot fight." He told her firmly.

"And why is that?" She asked.

"Because, you're with child and I cannot allow you to risk your safety and that of your unborn child." His words came out blunt, but what he said caught her off guard.

With child. Mildred shook her head. No. She couldn't be...well, there was always the possibility. Gurney and her had been intimate quite a few times since their reunion. She didn't feel pregnant. There were no notable changes aside from feeling tired. She thought that had something to do with organizing a battle. A shaky hand flew to her stomach and she looked at her brother. "A-Are you sure?"

Paul nodded his head. "Very. I could tell you the gender of the child if you wish."

"No, no. I'll wait." She said fighting back happy tears. "Don't tell Gurney or anyone. I want to get through this first."

"Of course." He paused. "You're going to be a good mother though."

She tried her best not to allow tears to fall. She didn't want anyone asking her why she was crying. It would only raise suspicions. She could feel the joy on her face. She was pregnant. Half of it her, half of it Gurney. She wondered how Gurney would react. She wondered if it would be a boy or girl? Who would it look like? A thousand questions ran through her mind, but she had to shut them out and focus.

They both heard footsteps and turned their attention back to Gurney as he returned with a soldier by his side. It took everything inside of her not to run to him and tell him the news. She wondered if he suspected something was wrong with her.