Chapter Seven

Visits to other Houses and planets were a normal occurrence. Usually it was just an excuse for many of the leaders to gather and get drunk together while talking about their woes. Mildred would sit with the other children of the Dukes and Duchess on the other side of the room and compare training, their wishes when they became the ruler and usually a duel would always happen. The duels were an unspoken rule that had to happen.

It was a way for the children to show off their skills. It would give the leaders a chance to boast about their children as well. There were strict rules. No shields were allowed. No blood was allowed to be shed. At sixteen years old Mildred had never fought in a duel. She supposed it at something to do with her being a girl. It was very rare that the heir to a house was female.

Mildred didn't know why. Perhaps the world, no matter how forward it seemed, still saw women as weak. They didn't have the strength to rule a planet. She knew her father had wanted a son, but once she was born, his wants had changed. He absolutely adored having a daughter and thought she would be a wonderful Duchess one day. He still craved a son and eventually got one though.

She closed her bag that contained extra clothing just as she finished changing into her dress. While it was new, it was absolutely beautiful. It was a gray, A-Line dress with a bateau neckline. The sleeves were long and cascaded to the floor while the back was entirely open revealing the bare skin of her back. Her mother would scold her for not being modest, but she didn't care anymore.

Waiting outside the transport were her parents, her eleven year old brother, Duncan, Gurney and their mentat, Thufir Hawat. They would be traveling to the House of Vico. It was on a beautiful planet called Moria. The family that occupied the castle had been friends with her's for generations and she found the family most agreeable out of all the houses. Their planet had every climate and ecosystem possible. Deserts. Oceans. Mountains. Rolling vally's.

"Nice of you to join us, Lady Mildred." Duncan teased her quietly as she walked past him. As the years passed she began to see him as an older brother more and more. They constantly bickered and teased on another.

"Mildred?" Her mother called out before she could respond to Duncan. "Why don't you sit next to me?"

She almost started sulking while Duncan chuckled. "Good luck."

"I'll slit your throat." Mildred warned him.

"I don't doubt that." He agreed before helping her inside the transport.

She already knew why her mother wanted her to sit next to her. She was about to get an earful about proper etiquette and be reminded that she needed to marry and produce an heir. It was the same conversation she had a hundred times the past two years every time they visited another house.

"This would be the perfectly opportunity for you to look at some prospective husbands. Duke Ewan has a wonderful son a few years older than you. I think his name is Zurkar." Jessica began as the transport took off.

"I know who Zurkar is. Although, I don't think we would be compatible. He's a bit of an as-" Duke Leto cleared his throat rather loudly when he heard what her next word would be, cutting her off.

"When I was your age I already had a child." Her mother reminded her.

"How could I forget?" Mildred mumbled to herself. "You only remind me everyday."

She swore she heard Paul snickering behind her. She almost whipped around to give him a look, but chose not too.

"Need I remind you what your duty is?" Jessica asked.

"I'm well aware what my duty is!" Mildred snapped.

The transport grew deathly quiet. Her mother looked at her aghast. Mildred felt humiliated. She didn't quite enjoy being dressed down in front of those closest to her. Sometimes, she just couldn't take it. Today was one of those days. Her eyes found the back of Gurney's head where he sat next to her father. She saw his shoulders had tensed. His head had turned every so slightly to look back at Mildred.