Chapter Twenty One

The morning of Mildred's wedding she woke up feeling refreshed. Despite her mind running in a hundred different directions, she found herself to fall asleep quickly. She supposed it had something to do with the excitement of what today would bring. She had requested her breakfast be brought to her room and that she took a bath in peace and quiet before the craziness of the day took over.

She sat on her bed still in her nightgown, reading over reports and eating her breakfast. She realized that she would never return to the bedroom again. She would be given a bigger one on a different wing of the castle for Gurney and her to share. It would have its own set of bedrooms, an office and a small dining area. She supposed she would want to join her parents and brother for meals occasionally.

Once she finished with her reports and breakfast she walked over to draw herself a bath. On the edge of the tub sat various herbs and salts that she would sometimes add. Today felt like an occasion where she would want to add something. She threw in dried lavender and chamomile. Not only would it relax her, but it would also leave a light scent on her skin.

After her bath, there was no point in her changing. She slipped a cozy robe over her body and ran a brush through her hair. There was a knock on the door and then she heard it open. It would either be one of her servants or her mother.

"Lady Mildred?" It was Sara.

Mildred looked up from her vanity. "Yes?"

"I was just seeing if you wanted any tea before we started on your hair and make up?" She asked.

"That would be lovely, thank you." Mildred told her.

Pampering was not something she was used too. She usually dressed herself and did her own hair, but today was different. Today, one of the servants would do her hair for her. She sat on a chair patiently while simple make up was applied to her face. Make up was only worn on special occasions. Her hair had been left down but sections near her temples had been twisted and pinned against her head. A small strand of diamonds had been twisted into it as well.

Her dress was brought in and the excitement was starting to build. She was going to marry Gurney in only an hour. The dress had been designed by one of the dressers. It was all white and made from chiffon. It was an off the shoulder dress with long sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. It was almost whimsical in a way and if she had been a Princess, that is what she imagined it would be like.

It fit her perfectly. She was tempted to spin around in as if she were child, but she refrained from doing so. Instead, she just looked at herself in the mirror and hoped Gurney liked it. The door of her bedroom opened again and this time it was her mother dressed in a black dress.

"Oh, Mildred." Her mother whispered. "You look beautiful."

Jessica took a hesitant step towards her daughter to get a better look at her daughter. She did look beautiful. She always did, of course, but seeing your daughter in a wedding dress was different. Jessica would have rather she chose to cover her shoulders, but Mildred had protested against that.

"Thank you, mother." Mildred told her.

"Give us a moment." Jessica told everyone in the room. She took one of her daughter's hands just as the servants left. "I'm not going to give you advice. I just want to wish that you are happy and that you have a happy, successful marriage."

"I am happy. You don't have to worry. Gurney is a good man." She promised him.

"Alright then. Let's get you married. Your father is waiting for you outside. I'm going to go take my seat now." Jessica said before giving her daughter a small hug.