Chapter Three

"Taking a child to a blacksmith to forge her own weapon?" Mildred's nanny, Clara scoffed as they walked through the town. "What a horrible idea."

"Why don't you try telling Duke Leto that? I'm sure he'll take it well since it was a his idea." Gurney suggested.

The nanny rolled her eyes. She had done nothing, but complain since they left the castle. It wasn't like Gurney was excited either. He had better things to do than spend his time with a child dressed in his formal uniform. It was required when seen out in public with a member of the royal family. It was incredibly stiff and uncomfortable.

Despite the sullen moods of her babysitters, Mildred was bubbling with excitement. She practically skipped down the street. Her father had always reminded her to be courteous when in public. The people were always watching them. She was finding it rather difficult to be the picturesque young Duchess her father wanted to be when she was about to forge her very own sword.

The people of course eyed the young girl curiously as she walked through town with entourage. It was normal for her to be seen with her nanny, but not with a member of the army. Mildred tried to smile at as many people as possible, but once the blacksmith's shop came into view she ran towards it. Her nanny was quick to stop her and remind her how a Lady acted in public. This earned a chuckle from Gurney.

"Lady Mildred, to what do I owe the pleasure?" The blacksmith, an older man with hardly any hair left asked surprised.

"The Duke has requested that a blade be made to fit the hilt she made." Gurney informed him.

"T-The hilt she made?" The blacksmith questioned with surprise that such a young girl was capable of something like that. Especially with no training. "Of course. Right this way Lady Mildred."

The young girl handed the hilt over to the blacksmith before walking further into his shop. The first thing she noticed was how incredibly hot it was. It felt as if she was standing inside a ball of fire. Sweat was tricking down her neck, but she didn't care. She was there to learn. She was only allowed to certain parts of the blade building since it was too dangerous otherwise.

She was allowed to choose what material it was made out of. She got to help pour the melted metal into a mold. The blacksmith even let her use the hammer to help shape it. She hardly made a mark, but it was still something. They had been there hours. Gurney and Clara were blazing hot. They were hungry. Their bodies were sticky with sweat.

They didn't complain though, not once. They watched just as eagerly as Mildred did as the blacksmith nailed the blade to the bone. He had to cut the hilt in half in ordered to fasten the blade to it. However, he pieced it back together once the blade was between it. After he was finished he handed it to Mildred. It was a bit bold to hand a six year old a dangerous weapon, but she was careful.

She admired the beautiful weapon with keen eyes. While small, it was perfect for her. It wasn't terrible long. The blade was silver in color and very, slightly curved. She held the weapon, trying to get a feel of it.

"What do you think? Will it work for our Duchess-to-be?" The blacksmith asked.

"It is a fine weapon." Mildred replied to him with her most regal tone. "When I am Duchess, you shall become the royal blacksmith."

The older man chuckled, knowing he would most likely be gone by the time that happened. "Thank you. Just be careful with it."

He handed her a cloth to wrap it in so it wouldn't be damaged. Instead of Mildred carrying it to the castle, Gurney elected himself to carry it. The last thing he wanted to do was have her stab himself. She wasn't exactly pleased with the proposition, but she didn't dare voice her opinion. By the time they made it back to the castle, they were all three exhausted and in desperate need of a shower.