Chapter Twenty Five

When Mildred awoke, she knew something had occurred. She could feel a thick tension in the air and it terrified her slightly. All throughout breakfast she was unusually quiet. Even Gurney took note, but she assured him everything was okay. She just hasn't slept well. She sat in her office. The same report sat on top of the pile for the last hour, unfinished. When she heard a knock on the door, she knew something was wrong.

"Enter." Mildred spoke.

The door opened and she was surprised to see Paul standing there. "Father wants to see us in his office."

"Did he say why?" She asked as she stood from the chair.

He shook his head. She swallowed thickly. They were both silent while walking to their father's office. Both knew something was wrong. When they walked inside they found their mother standing in front of their father's desk where he sat. Her hands were clasped tightly in front of her. Mildred's stomach began to form knots.

"I've gathered us all today, before the meeting, to tell you that I've just received news from the Emperor himself." Leto began. "He has ordered the Harkonnens to leave Arrakis immediately and has...requested that House Atreides take over the spice production on Arrakis."

Mildred's eyes widened. Arrakis was the last place anyone wanted to live besides on Giedi Prime. It was a desert planet with very little water. It primarily relied on the collection of spice for geriatric purposes. She also knew it could heighten one's awareness and people would pay a hefty price for it.

No one said anything. Her mother, Paul and her all glanced at each other, wondering who would speak or ask a question first.

"How soon?" Her mother finally asked.

"In a week, the formal declaration will be brought here for me to sign. After that we have a week to pack our belongings." Leto answered. "I've just sent Duncan Idaho there to hopefully begin building a relationship with the Fremen."

"This sounds like a ploy. Why would the Harkonnens  be ordered to leave?" Paul asked.

"I sense it too. We will need to be prepared for anything, more specifically an attack." Leto said.

Mildred gaped at her father. "Then why would we go if we knew we would be attacked?"

"We can't refuse the Emperor. You know that already. The wealth from the spice production profit would be extremely beneficial as well." Leto stood from his seat. "Jessica, Paul and me will go to Arrakis. I want you, Mildred to stay here and oversee operations on Caladan, but..."

"But?" Mildred asked confused.

"I want Gurney to go to Arrakis with us. He's very valuable. I'm not going to force you to stay on Caladan. You are more than welcome to go with us."

Mildred closed her eyes, taking a deep breath in to prevent herself from losing her temper. She was being presented with a difficult choice. Stay on Caladan, but be away from her husband? Or abandon her home world to be with her husband? It was not an easy choice.

"The Imperial Planetologist and Judge of the Change has been gracious enough to send us videos and books to read in preparation. It's highly recommended that we review them before we leave. Paul, I'm going to up your training. You'll need all you can get. Gurney will work with you everyday. I suggest you do the same, Mildred, if you wish to join us. Anymore questions?" Her father asked.

Mildred felt her jaw tense, but she shook her head as did her mother and brother. She should be excited. It was a great opportunity no matter which path she chose. Arrakis was a cruel planet to live on. It showed very little mercy to those who were not equipped to survive on it. In the back of the mind rang her father's words about it being a set up. At least they knew and it wouldn't surprise them the day it happened.