Chapter Thirty Eight

The ornithopter was thrown violently as they flew into the storm with Mildred at the controls. Paul had insisted on flying, but they both knew she was the better pilot even with his newfound awareness. At any second, Mildred thought they would die. She could feel the 'thopter threatening to fall apart at any given second. Her mother sat behind Paul and her muttering one of the Bene Gesserit sayings.

Trust. She had to trust herself and her instincts. She shut the ship off, not wanting to turn it back on until they reached 5000 meters. She rested her head against the seat and closed her eyes momentarily to allow herself to calm down. She was aware of how hard her heart was pounding. How clammy her hands felt. Once they reached the desired altitude, she turned the 'thopter back on.

She could see the sand growing thinner as they ascended into the air. The world was funny though. Every time you thought you had the upper hand, something would happen. Mildred swore Gurney had a quote for that sort of situation, but she couldn't think of it now as she heard the engines stop and the wings started flying off. Luckily, they were descending slowly so the impact wouldn't be terrible.

As soon as they landed, they started to run. Paul and Mildred both knew that the sound of the 'thopter crashing would surely send a worm their way. Her body was exhausted and screaming in pain from the impact, but she didn't care as they ran towards a rock formation. Once they seemed to be in a safe spot they all took a moment to put their stillsuits on. She tried her best to remember everything Dr. Kynes had told them the first time she wore one.

Jessica watched her two children intently as they walked across the sand. She noted how well they had adapted. How they only communicated with looks. So well they had been trained. At the same time, she could see the stress on their faces. Mildred being burdened with losing her father and husband and now becoming a Duchess. Paul becoming something far greater that she could ever hope he would be. In the moment, she felt...proud.

Paul withdrew his compass. "The sietch where Duncan lived is somewhere off that way."

"There's greenery over there." Jessica said as she looked through her binoculars.

"There must be Fremen there. We'll cross the sand at night." Paul said. When it was finally nighttime, Paul turned to their mother. "This is worn territory. We can't walk like regular humans. If we do, we're dead. We'll have to walk like the Fremen do. It's called a sand walk."

Mildred remembered the walk from one of the film books she watched. She watched as Paul demonstrated it to their mother before they began their treacherous walk across the sand. They had walked for hours at a snails pace, but it was better than attracting a work she supposed. They took a much needed break for a moment. Both Mildred and her mother fought off sleep.

At first, she thought she was imaging the low rumbling across the desert. She was tired and hungry. Surely that would cause some hallucinations. She peeked over her shoulder and that's when she saw the familiar movement of a worm. She jumped to her feet. "We need to run!"

As she ran, the sand beneath her feet shook. It reminded her of only days ago when she was running from a worm with Gurney and Paul. She thought for a moment about stopping and letting the worm consume her, but she couldn't allow her mother and brother to lose another person. She kept running until her feet hit the rock. The worm pierced into the air, showing off his needle teeth.

She heard a faint thumping sound. It wasn't coming from the worm. No. She remembered it was a from a device from the film books she watch. She was sure the proper term was a thumper.

"Someone set off a thumper." Paul said through his mask.

Which also meant that they were not alone. She just hoped it was the Fremen and not their enemy as she climbed further into the formation. They stood in the middle of the formation, taking it in while they all fought to catch their breath. Paul's handing moving caught her attention; We're not alone. Mildred straightened up immediately. New noises emerged. The sound of pebbles. A footstep. She reached up to her arm and produced a small dagger in case danger arose.