Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

"Go away." Gurney yelled at the door. He tried to keep his tone as even as possible. He didn't exactly want people to find out what they were doing. He rolled his hips against her's.

"But, Master Halleck, you wanted those of us who are attending the strategy meeting to meet you here before it starts." A voice from the door spoke.

"Damnit." Gurney hissed. Although Mildred wasn't sure if it was because of her or the soldier. He pressed his lips against her neck and down to her chest. "I'll be there in a moment."

His teeth found the nipple and he licked it, bit it softly as she continued moving. Mildred knew they both had to be quiet since his men were right on the other side of the door. Gurney reached down between her legs and found the place she liked to be touched the most. "Come on."

He flipped her over suddenly causing her to yelp in surprise. Her back laid against the bed and he was settled in between her thighs.

"Gurney, we really must-" the soldier's voice was cut off by Gurney leaning over and throwing the nearest object at the door. Mildred broke out into a giggle. She covered her mouth, trying to stifle it.

"I think we've been discovered." She pointed out.

"I think I have to agree with you." He admitted and leaned down to kiss her. "We'll finish this later."

"We will." She agreed and let him get off her. She knew she needed to shower, but there would be no time. Instead she slipped on her undergarments, the standard military pants, a plain shirt and a thick, navy colored jacket. It was another standard uniform issued to everyone. She pulled her hair back into a low bun and went to follow Gurney out of the room.

Three soldiers stood outside. All three of them avoiding eye contact with the couple. They knew. Mildred bit her bottom lip trying not to laugh, but instead fell in line next to her husband. It would be their first strategy meeting on Arrakis and also the first one Paul would be able to attend. Though, Mildred was even younger than Paul when she attended her first one.

Flashbacks to last night filled her mind the moment she stepped inside the building. She swallowed thickly, trying to suppress the thoughts. The look on the servant's face as she was moments from dying. The feeling of taking someone else's life. Was she a killer now? The question hit her like a ton of bricks. They had only been on Arrakis for two days and she could already see the planet changing her. She was slowly creating a hard shell around herself. Last night didn't make it any better.

If there was anyone who saw the change in Mildred the most, it would be her husband. He noted the way she stuck to his side more. Usually in meetings she sat away from him. She was not clingy, ever. In fact, she was quite independent. However, Gurney could see how her eyes searched for his face more in a room or crowd of people. He noticed the spark in her eyes that he loved so much was starting to dull. Killing was part of his job, not her's. He had killed a hundred men. Mildred had only killed one.

So, he allowed her to stick by him. He allowed her to reach for his hand under the table. Tonight, when they were alone, he would talk to her. He would ask her if she was okay. He would listen. He would hold her. He would do anything it took to get his Millie back. The only with the sly tongue and more grit than half his soldiers. He saw the way eyes watched her as they sat down. Some were pity. Some were marvel.

"Your first strategy meeting." Gurney announced as Paul walked in. Half of it was an attempt to distract Mildred. "Paul Atreides, who catches hunter seekers in his bare hands like a hero of old."

Gurney's men all let out snickers while Mildred cracked a smile. She had forgotten that she wasn't the only who had been attacked last night. She was happy that she had been the one to kill and not her brother.

As Paul walked by, he patted Gurney's shoulder and whispered, "Thanks for the humiliation, old man."

"Gotta keep an eye on you." Gurney shot back as Paul sat down.

Her brother glanced down the table at his sister and nodded. She didn't look herself, but he knew now was not the time. Their father walked into the room and everyone, including the Atreides siblings, stood up.

"Let's get started." Leto spoke and everyone sat down. "Thufir. Operations."

"I secured a copy of the Harkonnens' account books. The Harokonnens were were taking ten billion Solaris out of here every year." Thufir explained.

This caused many of the people to raise eyebrows and murmur amongst themselves. Mildred knew that spice business was a busy one, but she didn't know how busy until Thufir informed them.

"They shall suck of the abundance of the seas, and the treasure hid in the sand." Gurney quoted.

"We won't see profits like that for a while." Thufir continued. "Not with the equipment they left us."

"How bad is it?" Mildred asked curiously.

"Well, why don't we see for ourselves?" Thufir suggested.

Mildred didn't know if she wanted too, but it was evident her father did. It was only morning and the sun was already beating down, heating the planet up. All sorts of machines moved around them while they observed the silos, well lack of silos. There were approximately only ten filled and there seemed to be a hundred empty pallets. They had seriously underestimated the planet and the business they were to attend too.

"These are spice silos. We're meant to fill every crate." Thufir explained to the group.

"All of them?" Paul sounded equally as stunned as she did.

"Every 25 standard days. Harkonnen sabotage slowed us down." Thufir answered.

"But who's meant to arbitrate?" Paul turned to their father. "Isn't there a Judge of the Change to oversee the transition?"

"The Emperor should have appointed one." If Mildred remembered correctly.

"He did. Dr. Liet Kynes. Imperial Ecologist. Been here 20 years. Eccentric, from what I'm told." Thufir said.

"I want to see these harvesting fields myself." Leto spoke.

Thufir raised an eyebrow. "I wouldn't recommend it, my lord."

"Have this Judge of the Change accompany us. A meetings long overdue. And we'll get a bit of Imperial protection." Leto requested of Thufir.

A chance to see the spice fields in person peaked Mildred's interest. On Caladan, she always tried to travel to various locations around the planet to meet the people and see the work they were doing for their planet. Arrakis would be no different.

"A hostage." Gurney said with a chuckle. "I love it."

Thufir pressed his finger to his communication device and a smile spread across his face. "He's here."

By he, Thufir meant Duncan Idaho. He had been spending a month with the Fremen trying to create some sort of relationship with the people. Mildred looked up into the sky just as an ornithopter flew over them and went to land. She trailed behind her brother and Gurney to greet him. She could see his usually clean shaven face had a bit of stubble on it making him finally look his age. He wore a stillsuit that was covered in dust and sand.

She smiled affectionately as her brother embraced Duncan. She heard Duncan mutter something about Paul's height before Gurney clasped his shoulder.

"Ah, Lady Mildred. Lovely as ever. Although, I'm surprised you aren't with child yet." Duncan teased and shot a look at Gurney. "That's if the old man can get it up."

Mildred laughed and shocked her head while Gurney lightly punched Duncan in the stomach.

"Oh, I deserve that one." He said hunched over.

"It's nice to see you too, Duncan. The attempt of a beard is a nice touch." She said before giving him a small hug.