5.15 Uncaught - The Misunderstanding

Mrs. Osmond opened the door and beamed at me as soon as she saw me.

"Hi Lyza!"

"Hello Mrs. Osmond, how are you?", I greeted her. She hesitated a moment.

"I'm doing a lot better, thanks for asking. And you?"

"I'm fine..."

"Are you...in trouble?", she asked conspiratorially with low voice. I blushed.

"N-No!"

"Then...what do you want, Lyza?", she wondered.

"Err...it's...it's because of what happened yesterday..."

"the dia...", the nurse tried to interrupt me and I needed to withhold her from blurring out about the diapers.

"I mean yesterday MORNING...EARLY morning!", I quickly added because I almost made the same mistake twice ^^ Mrs. Osmond looked a bit confused.

"...the...misunderstanding...?"

"Err...YES...the misunderstanding!"

"...okay?...what about it?", she asked and looked already a bit nervous.

"Well, my Mom felt horrible about it and so came with me to...", I started before Mom suddenly shoved me aside. She stood there with a greeting card and a box of chocolates. The nurse looked at her scared.

"I am so sorry about what happened yesterday, Mrs. Osmond. I am just so so sorry! I know I can't make it unhappen, but I wanted you to know that I regret it from the bottom of my heart", Mom explained and glanced over at me totally embarrassed. I nodded encouragingly. She made a move towards the nurse to hand her the gifts, but Mrs. Osmond shrieked of fear and took two steps back. Her eyes got wet. I quickly passed Mom and hugged the nurse.

"It's okay, Gloria. Don't worry. She won't hurt you anymore!", I tried to calm her. When I looked back at Mom, I saw her standing glued to the ground. She was shocked and had a hand on her mouth and tears ran down from her eyes wide as saucers. Meanwhile the nurse started to relax a bit.

"Sorry for my...jumpiness...I...I accept, Mrs. Anderson", she finally uttered and reached out her hand. I just stood there between two crying women. After what felt like an eternity Mom handed her the card and chocolate. Gloria smiled, took it, put it in her left hand and reached out her right hand again. Mom looked irritated.

"Oh, what else? How much do you want?", she asked. The nurse just answered with a shake of her head and then grabbed her hand instead. Mom flinched for a split second before both just shook hands. I wanted to give Mom a hug, but she avoided it and led me to her side. I must not hug her in public, but crying in public was obviously okay ^^

"I...I don't know what to say...", Mom started, but Mrs. Osmond shook it off.

"I guess we first should get a bit more privacy. Come inside", she offered and the three of us entered her rooms.

"Is there something we...I mean I...or we...however...you know...do for you?...", Mom stammered unsure.

"Put a smile on your faces", the nurse said chuckling.

"Oh, I'm sorry", Mom returned and started to smile.

"Lyza!", Mrs. Osmond uttered and I noticed I also hadn't been smiling, yet.

"Oopsy", I laughed and then smiled, too.

"That's a lot better", she noted and led us to the table with four chairs. On top of it was a brand new pack of diapers which made me a bit nervous and I tugged at my jeans. Then we all sat down and I saw Mom stare at the diapers. I had to distract her.

"Mom, didn't you want to ask Mrs. Osmond something?", I asked hinting on the invitation for dinner. Mom looked at me puzzled. The Nurse stepped in.

"But before you do, let me say something, please"