Chapter 6 - All Gone

TW: Mentions of death please do not read if you are uncomfortable with the topic

November 4th, 1933

Steve's POV

The last two weeks have been rough on all of us, but mostly Bucky. The first several days were the worst but now we were almost back to normal. Bucky worked with my mother to plan Bucky's ma and baby sister's funeral which was hard for Bucky but he pushed through it. Everyone put on a brave face not wanting to show how much the loss of Mrs. Barnes affected everyone.

I have always considered Mrs. Barnes like a second mother and her death broke my heart. I was surprised Bucky seemed to be doing as well as he was but he was probably trying to not be seen as weak. Madison has been staying over the last two weeks only leaving when she had to go to work, we all went back to school this week and it was strange to see life continue as normal when our lives had changed so drastically.

Right now we were all at the table eating lunch when a knock came on the door. Madison got up to go see who it is. " I will be right back, it's probably just the post," Madison left the room and we could hear the door open along with faint talking that I couldn't make out.

A moment later Madison came back into the room looking very solemn. "Sarah, the man at the door needs to talk to you," Madison looked upset and very worried and she kept glancing at Bucky who was wiping off Rebecca's messy face.

It was another five minutes before my mother returned but she wasn't alone. Two men followed her in wearing a formal military uniforms. That was when I realized what was going on and why Madison looked so broken. I looked at Bucky who had just looked up to see who had walked in and I watched as his face slowly fell from the realization.

" Rebecca will you please go into my room for a moment," I asked the small girl who looked very confused.

" Yeah, but will you come to get me when the tall men are gone," Rebecca whispered into my ear and I nodded.

" Of course, it will only be a few minutes," I assured her before she ran off. Once we heard the door loudly close we turned to the men in uniform not wanting to hear the news.

" Would you like a seat Lieutenants?" my mother offered, gesturing to the table where our half-eaten meal still sat.

" No thank you, ma'am, we are alright," one of the men spoke up.

They waited a moment before the other one began to speak, " Unfortunately we do not come bearing good news. Two days ago there was an accident on base and Sergeant George Barnes was killed when a grenade that was believed to be a dummy blew up."

The room went dead silent and Madison and I turned to Bucky who was deathly silent and still. I was worried when Bucky seemed to not react and his face showed no emotion. He seemed unaffected by this news and it is alarming, to say the least, he just found out that he is an orphan.

" The children of George Barnes will receive benefits and pay. With normal circumstances, the wife of Sergeant Barnes would receive the money but we have been informed that Winnifred Barnes passed away two weeks ago," the other one explained.

" Excuse me, gentlemen," Bucky interrupted and everyone turned to look at Bucky, " but I am going to go to my room."

Bucky then practically ran to the guest room and we heard the door slam shut. Madison quickly left after him and I followed a moment later. I entered the guest room to see Bucky on the floor sobbing into Madison's arms. It broke me to see Bucky like this, he was 16 and had lost both his parents.

Madison had tears falling from her face but she wouldn't let Bucky know she was crying too. I sat next to them and hugged Bucky from the other side letting my tears silently fall too. I couldn't tell you how long we sat there in each other's arms crying, but at some point, silence fell upon the room and for a while, I thought Madison and Bucky had fallen asleep.