Chapter Twenty-Three.

Harry can't stop kissing me

Whether it's in his office or in the darkened corners of Shark Bait, he always manages to find a way to sneak in at least a few kisses each day but I've got no complaints. I love it just as much, if not more than he does.

Something has shifted between us ever since my Christmas Eve dinner. Something loosened and has allowed us to be more free, more open. It's almost like kissing one another was the last barrier holding us back.

It feels more like relief now that we've done it because truthfully, I couldn't stop thinking about him that way. He was like a distraction but it's not that that's gotten any better. He's even worse of a distraction now.

We've kept it to ourselves ever since it happened as well. When Harry told me he didn't want to tell anyone it made me nervous that he was going to act like it never happened. I know it was just one kiss and that it probably made me seem clingy but I wanted to be spared any possible feelings of hurt and anguish.

Luckily, the only feelings that have arisen are those of happiness and excitement.

I've seen him almost everyday since then too. He came through with his promise of bringing me the right food and everything for Misty – the name courtesy of Jesse – on Christmas. He could see Jesse over my shoulder on the couch, Princess in his hands.

"Hi Harry," Jesse casually said, probably feeling bad for how much he tormented Harry the day before. Or maybe not.

Harry just gave him a slight nod of his head and when he went to leave, he started to bend down only to catch himself. He froze about half-way and his neck went pink, followed by his cheeks.

I smiled up at him as he straightened his back. He settled for a tap of his foot against mine before clearing his throat. "I'll see you tomorrow."

That made me stupidly grin, and he noticed because he stared at me with amusement, playfully rolling his eyes at me before he finally left. I loved that the solid walls we had between us finally were breaking down, it's what I needed from the start.

Not even ten minutes later, Derek showed up to give me a present. Every year, he always gets me a giftcard to the shop I get my yarn from and every year, I knit him something. This year, I knitted him a red scarf with mittens to match.

"Merry Christmas, kid."

I was grateful he didn't show up any earlier than that because I wouldn't know how to explain what Harry was doing at my place. I had no answers for him and it would only cause problems for me. Derek didn't know about this new step in mine and Harry's relationship and it's better if it stayed that way too.

What would I tell him? That the guys I'm supposed to be investigating have become friends of mine? Or that I think I like them more than I'm supposed to? Was I supposed to tell him that I finally kissed Harry after wanting it for so long even though it's the last thing I need? I couldn't do any of those things.