Chapter Five.

"Yeah, yeah, you're getting some food now

"Yeah, yeah, you're getting some food now. Relax."

A huff pushes past my lips as I stare at the mass of fish which are feeding on the food I laid out for them. I roll the sleeves of my cardigan up as I watch their tiny little yellow bodies swim up to the seaweed strips attached to the side of the tank, a method to keep them from straying and swimming after the food that gets given to them.

They eagerly huddle around the strips and ignore my presence completely, as if I'm not even here. I can't blame them though, they're fish for fucks sake. But still, I'd appreciate a little bit of love from them considering I'm the only one who really loves to visit them.

I can't help the smile from overtaking my face as I watch their little mouths move underwater, happily munching on their food. They look so content and anyone who says fish don't have emotions or feelings can rightly go fuck themselves. Fish aren't fucking robots.

My knuckles brush over the glass tank, tapping against it lightly to get the smallest little guy to speed up his swimming. All the food is gonna be gone by the time he gets there and then I'm gonna have to fucking isolate him and feed him solo. I can't have him starve.

I've always had a soft spot for cowfish. Zayn thinks they're fucking ugly but I kind of like that about them, it makes them kind of cute. I'd never say that out loud though, I'd rather be shot than admit to Zayn—or anyone for that matter—that I found a fish 'cute'.

I certainly don't find things or people 'cute', other than cowfish and my German shepherd, Reef.

Animals are the only exception.

I love being here in the early morning, just myself and the fish and no one else. I honestly wouldn't want to be anywhere else. It's quiet and peaceful which is a nice contrast to my life ninety-five percent of the time. No one is here to annoy the shit out of me or come barreling up to me with what they think is a dire situation but really is one that can be resolved within five minutes. I hate incompetent people.

Being the boss around here can become tiresome when people inconvenience me with every little problem or mishap that takes place at Shark Bait. If people think a broken computer is something 'critical' and 'serious', I'd hate to see what they say about the life I fucking live.

Despite how fucking annoying some of the people who work here are, I love Shark Bait. It's my pride and joy, something I'm proud of....one of the only things I'm proud of. It feels good to know that I'm housing these fish with the care, respect, and love they deserve — they deserve nothing less.

I've learned to love and appreciate the work I put into taking care of the place. It's become like a second home to me and considering that I don't really have anything other than Zayn and my dog, I end up spending more than half of my time here when I'm not off doing other shit. It helps that my apartment is just down the road.