Chapter Twenty-Two.

The time leading up to the Christmas Eve dinner at my place was filled with nerves and excitement rushing through my system

The time leading up to the Christmas Eve dinner at my place was filled with nerves and excitement rushing through my system. I knew that I had nothing to be scared of, it was Zayn and Harry, two people who I have come to be comfortable around so what was the reason behind it?

Maybe it's the fact that this would be the first time the four of us will be together in a casual setting and I just wanted everything to be perfect. It needed to be a good night for all of us. I just wanted to let loose, to pretend like we were four close friends all hanging out together.

I spent all morning cleaning my apartment, deep cleaning to be exact, touching every corner and crevice that could possibly have a spot of dirt. It was probably out of nerves but at least now my place looks squeaky clean, even Jesse was surprised when he walked in.

He got here quite early and I think most of it had to do with my panicked texts to him about how things weren't ready for the dinner. He kept laughing at how nervous I was and eventually had to be the one to force me into the shower to finally get ready for the night. Thank god for that.

Even though I tried to make sure everything was as perfect as it could be for them, I knew something wasn't right when they showed up because as soon as they walked in the door, Harry didn't even spare a glance at the cleavage I showed in my silver dress. He just murmured a quiet "Merry Christmas" before thrusting a few bags into my hands and walking inside, Zayn quickly following behind him.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by his grumpy demeanour but it's Christmas Eve and it just felt like something was off. In our texts, he kept up the teasing asshole personality I've come to thoroughly enjoy but sometime between now and then he switched, acting like this was the last thing he wanted to do.

I watched Harry stalk off into my apartment before I turned back towards Zayn, a slight grimace on his face. He looked sympathetic, but I didn't want him to feel bad for Harry's actions so I quickly threw my arms around him, squeezing him tightly.

"I'm so glad you guys are here." I murmured into his neck and I felt him squeeze me once before pulling away. His eyes crinkled at the corners as he beamed at me with that breathtaking smile he always sported. "Could never pass up an opportunity to see you Indy, thanks for having us. Merry Christmas."

I let him in and as Zayn made himself comfortable in the kitchen with Jesse, Harry opted to sit in the living room across from Princess. I took a second to admire him. Dressed in an olive green t-shirt with a red cardigan thrown over the top, I couldn't help but to smile at the Christmas colours. No doubt Zayn made him wear it considering he was wearing a Christmas coloured sweater of his own.

I dropped the gifts off under the Christmas tree before making my way over to sit beside him. I wanted tonight to be a good night for all of us, it's Christmas Eve after all. "You okay?" I asked him, adjusting my dress.