I continue to let Pops guide me down the hall and out to the waiting room which is surprisingly empty. A pot of several hours old coffee sits off in the corner next to a worn out vending machine. 

  I don't sit in a chair. Instead I lean my back against the wall, and let myself go. A release of frustration, sadness and joy feels all consuming as I find myself sliding down the wall, ending up crouched down on my knees as I weep.

  "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I cry out. I can only imagine what Pops thinks of me now. My behavior was uncalled for, no matter how upset or daunting this nightmare has been.

  I hear chair legs scraping against the linoleum floor. My head in my hands, I don't realize Pops has moved a chair to sit directly in front of me. As soon as he sits I feel his hands on my shoulders. There's a sense of comfort radiating from the warmth of his hands. 

  Raising my head ever so slightly I look him directly in his eyes. "This isn't who I am. I promise, Pops. Please don't think bad of me." My shoulders begin to shake again as I fight back another sob.

  "Officer, what I just saw is a man that loves my granddaughter with every ounce of his being." I take a deep breath at his words. "You said everything that I'm sure Opal would also say to Laura. She's always been the one to take advantage of our girl. But, you need to think about something else."

  I look at him, confused. "What do you mean?"

  "Can you go back to your job with only one kidney?"

  Of course that isn't something I had thought about. This was more of an act now ask questions later situation. I know there's nothing set in stone across the board for officers, knowing most states and cities have their own rules on things like that. 

  "I'd give it up for Opal."

  "I know you would, son. But do you think Ope could carry the burden of knowing she's the reason you gave up being an officer?" His expression tells me what I already know. Opal, the blessed stubborn woman she is, would be furious with me. I don't want her to think I'd resent her in any way. 

  "But," I stutter. "What if this was the whole reason of us meeting? Of the intricacy of our relationship? What if this is what it was all for?" My head hangs in my hands again. 

  I love her more than anything and want to spend my life with her. But, if that's not the reason for us meeting, then I'll gladly give her a piece of me so that she can keep living and find the life she's always dreamed of having. "I want to save her."

  Pops lifts my head out of my hands once again, my tear filled eyes meeting his own. "Christopher, my boy. You already have." A tear falls down his wrinkled, worn face. "This isn't the end of your story together. It's just a chapter."

  Our focus is startled when we hear someone clearing their throat at the door way. "Pops," Laura starts, "can I have a minute with Chris?"

  Pops pushes his chair back away from me, stands and offers me his hand to help me up. Not a word more is spoken between the two of us as he envelops me with his arms, hugging me against his chest with a pat on the back. He leans back from the embrace. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna see if that red head is back on the floor." He gives me a wink as I return a small smile, watching him walk back into the hallway.

  "Chris-"

  "Stop." I hold my hand out for her to stop talking. "I owe you an apology. I never should've said those things to you about your friendship with Opal. You're right. I've not been around as long."

  "But you love her more," she says, surprising me with her words. "I know you're not going anywhere. And I know her well enough to know that she wouldn't stay with you just because you gave her a kidney. But, you were right. I'm an awful friend. I mean, I  have my good moments, but when it comes to Opal," she pauses, "I take her for granted. I know that no matter how rude, or mean or ugly I am to her, she's not going anywhere. I know that if I need her she'll come without question."

  "Have you talked to Spencer about this? The possibility, I mean?"

  "I did. He supports me in whatever I choose to do." She shifts on her feet.

  "But aren't you suppose to be moving next week? Starting a new job?" I ask, my arms crossed against my chest, my stance firm.

  "What's one more month?" she shrugs. "I owe her this, for being such a crappy friend. Please, let me do this, Chris. I owe her so much more than this, but it's a start. I'll even push the wedding back to make sure she's in tip top shape." 

  The selfish part of me wants to be the donor. Knowing that I saved her life. But I think about what Pops said. 'You already have,' his words on repeat in my mind.