Paul looked visibly uncomfortable as they danced, so she made it short. I mean, what teenage boy wanted to dance with his older sister? Every once in a while her eyes would glance around the room for Gurney. She just wanted to thank him for his gift and then he could return to his quarters if he wanted. She could go to his quarters if she wanted to, but she tried to respect the soldiers privacy and not impose on them.

Finally, she spotted him. He stood in the corner talking to Duncan. She excused herself from the conversation she had been having and walked slowly towards him. She didn't want to raise any suspicions. Both Duncan and Gurney ceased talking, looked at Mildred and dipped their heads respectively.

"Lady Mildred." Duncan was the first to speak to her.

"Please, no formalities. Even in a room full of people." She requested.

Her eyes flickered to Gurney who remained motionless and emotionless. There was a hint of tension between the two of them and Duncan knew.

"Um, would you mind excusing me. I think Paul needs me." Duncan said.

"Yes, of course." Mildred told him.

Gurney was quite aware of the dress she was wearing. It was the most revealing clothing he had ever seen. The slit up the side revealed a toned thigh. The plunging neckline revealed-well, he wasn't going to go there. She did look beautiful though not considering the dress. Her eyes almost glittered in amusement as she looked around the room and then back at him.

"I wanted to thank you for my gift. It was very thoughtful." She spoke quietly, as if she didn't want anyone to know about the book.

"You're welcome. I thought you would find some enjoyment from it." He spoke in the same way he spoke to his soldiers. The last time he used that tone was when she was a child and they had first met.

An awkward silence ensured.

"Gurney," her voice was even quieter. "If I did something that...displeased you, I apologize."

Gurney did his best not to react to her words. She thought he was mad at her. As he played back the memories of the day in his mind it would seem that way from her perspective.

"I'm sorry I made you feel that way, Mildred. I just didn't sleep well. That's all." He attempted to assure her.

"Bad dream?" She asked.

He took a deep breath in. "Something like that. Are you enjoying yourself?"

"Mostly. Although, I do have one, small request." She said, her sprite like smile appearing on her face and he knew this request involved him. "Oh, don't look at me like that. I was just hoping for one dance with you. I've been told that you're quite the dancer."

Gurney tried his best to remain composed at her request. Inside, he was in agony. He was trying to stay far away from her. Trying to push the dream out of his head, but she was making it rather difficult. He wanted to walk away. He wanted to go back to his quarters and try to decipher every thought running through his head.

"Don't you think that would be inappropriate?" He asked.

"I-Inappropriate?" She repeated.

"Yes. I'm the Warmaster. You're a young girl from a royal family. Some people might think...." He trailed off.

Mildred tried to stifle a laugh. "Gurney, if you don't want to dance, you can just say no. I really don't think it would bother anyone. Everyone in this room knows how long you've known our family. I like to think you're my father's closest friend."

She was right more than likely. He was probably overthinking it which was something he rarely did. If he didn't say yes, that might be the thing that raised suspicions. "I will dance with you. Just once."

A wide smile spread across her face. He extended his hand out to her and she gently placed her's in his. It had been the first time she actually focused on how his hand felt against her's. His skin was rough, calloused from years of training. Heads began to turn as the pair walked onto the crowded dancing floor. The song abruptly changed to something light and fun.

Gurney and Mildred turned to face another before bowing to each other. They both raised one hand up and touched hands just as the other couples did. The dance they did was a fairly common one. There was nothing romantic about it. It was one of the first dances a child from a noble family would learn.

Mildred did not read many fairytales growing up, but she always read about a couple in cusp of falling in love. The very moment everything in the room ceased and they were the only two people there. She was having one of those moments and it scared the hell out of her. In fact, she had seen this before in her dreams years and years ago. She tried her best to not allow her face to bear any emotion she was feeling inside.

A Warmaster and a Duchess.

It would never work. Ever.

When the song ended it seemed everyone was staring at the two of them. Some with curious eyes. Some approving. Some disapproving. She turned to look at Gurney who probably felt the same as her. Terrified. He dipped his head again and left without uttering a single word. What would people think now? Surely rumors would fly. She just hoped no one would think they were true.

She needed a drink. A very strong drink.