There's a ringing in my ears causing me to only barely  hear Jameson tell Anthony to call the girls. I know there's someone else that needs to know what's going on, but I can't involve Pops until I know what is going on. 

  "How long, Jameson?" I ask, my voice coming out raspy and angry.

  "We'll be there in five. It's the best hospital they could take her to. It doesn't mean she has a brain injury, Chris. Have a little bit of faith, man."

  Faith. A little bit of faith. I held so much of that for so long trying to get Opal to even do something as simple as give me her phone number. Why now, when it's a matter of life and death do I struggle to have even the smallest amount of faith? Because I know that our time is fleeting. 

 "Rae is picking up Lily and Laura. They'll meet us there," Anthony tells us both. 

  "An officer was giving your mom a ride to the hospital, so she should get there shortly after Opal."

  I open my phone once more, just long enough to send a quick text to Scott for him to call mom. I can't talk to anyone right now, nor do I care to when I have zero details to share.

  The city passes by in a blur, much like the pounding of my heart if I'm honest. If I don't get some type of information soon my fist is going to find something else to go through than the dash.

  I see the hospital sign come into focus as Jameson makes a right turn onto a busy street. It's stop and go, barely moving. I unlock the passenger door and jump out deciding to run the rest of the way.  I'm not even slightly out of breath as I reach the Emergency room doors. 

  I rush right to the counter, panic all over my face. "Can I help you," the young man behind the counter asks.

  "Opal Lucas. She came by ambulance, car versus pedestrian." Habit of the job, knowing the lingo. 

  "And you are?" he asks as he begins typing into the computer that sits on the desk in front of him.

  "Her boyfriend. Sergeant Christopher Evans of Atlanta PD." 

  "Sweetheart, your title isn't going to help you down here," I hear my mother's tender voice just over my shoulder. Her hand comes to rest gently on my back. I no longer pay any attention to the nurse in front of me, turning to collapse into my mother's small stature. And that's when the dam on my emotions break, anger slipping away, giving way to my fears.

  "Ma," my voice breaking apart just like my heart. 

  "It's okay baby, I'm here," she whispers as she rubs my back, lovingly attempting to calm me down.

  "Mr. Evans?" the voice behind the counter requests my attention.

  I straighten myself up, wiping at my tear streaked face. "She has no other family but her grandfather and he's not in good health. Please tell me something."

 "Someone will come out to speak with you shortly," he assures me.

  Ma takes my hand in hers, guiding me over to a set of chairs in the waiting room. "I can't lose her, Ma. I can't."

  "I know, baby. I know." She sits next to me, offering me her shoulder. I feel like a lost little boy, no longer the strong officer I've become accustomed to being. 

  "How bad was it?" I'm unsure that I want to hear her answer, but yet know that I need some other type of information. 

  She doesn't answer right away, causing me to look up at her. As soon as I do I can see she's swallowing rather harshly. "Mom," my voice shaking again. "Tell me."

  "I'm pretty positive she's broken her arm. Maybe more. She was thrown a bit of distance. By the look of her face I think maybe she skid across the pavement."

  "Those are all best case scenarios. You know that right? She's more likely to have internal issues." I ask her as my phone goes off. "Jameson and Anthony are waiting for the girls outside."

  "We have to hope for those best case scenarios, baby. We have to."

  "Was she conscious at all?" I ask, knowing that this is the answer I need to hear the most.

  Mom gives me a soft smile. "For a little bit, but she had blacked out before the ambulance got there."

  "Did she say anything?" I know my voice is pleading, but I need more information if I'm going to even slightly calm my nerves.

  "She told me to make sure you didn't worry." She rubs my arm offering comfort. "And to check the glove box in her car. I'm not sure what that was about though."

  Before I can even think about what that means I hear my name being called through the double doors leading back to the ER bays. "Mr. Evans. Chris Evans?" a petite middle aged woman calls out.

  Without a second thought I leave my mother and rush to the woman. "I'm Chris Evans. How is she?"

  "If you could come with me," she says, her eyes soft. I follow behind her, noticing that her red hair is up in  a messy bun the way Opal prefers to wear hers. 

 I glance over my shoulder and realize my mother didn't follow me. I'm on my own. A grown man, 31 years old and I'm terrified of getting this kind of news by myself. 

  The nurse opens a door to a small room that holds a table and a couple of chairs. There in the  middle of the table is a box of tissues. This isn't the room I want to be in. "The doctor will be right in."

  I'm left alone with my own thoughts, which is normally not a terrible place for me. But never have I been in this type of situation, knowing the love of my life is somewhere in this hospital and I can't get to her. 

  The door opens and the look on the man's face makes my stomach drop even further.