Chapter One

A/N: Hello and welcome to my story! This story is going to be primarily revolved around the Dune 2021 movie. Josh Brolin's Gurney Halleck is who I'm going to picture for this story. I've read the books though and I'll be pulling elements from it as well. Some things will be the same. Some will be different. Gurney is one of my favorite Dune characters and I hope I do him justice in this story. Thank you for reading!

When Mildred Atreides was born her mother wept as if she was in mourning. The birth of a child was to be a joyful day particularly to such a prominent family. Her mother felt no ounce of power in her daughter. When the Bene Gesserit convinced that Mildred would never produce the Chosen One due to her lack of power, her mother discarded her. No one knew why the daughter of a woman who belonged to the group of all women lacked the power.

Perhaps Jessica loved Leto Atreides too much. The creation of their daughter had nothing to do with the love between the two of them. It had everything to do with wanting to create the Chosen One. As soon as the realization came to the Imperial Truthsayer, everyone left the room with the exception of the Duke, Lady Jessica, a doctor and a few nurses. Her mother thrusted her into her father's arms and rolled over to weep.

Her mother was so very young. Only fifteen years of age. It seemed unethical to make a woman a mother that young, but it was the prime age for child bearing. More specifically, to bear a child of such great importance. Nothing could go wrong and yet it did. Both Leto and Jessica were excited to have a child. He would have an heir and she would be praised for carrying such a marvelous being. Yet, that didn't happen.

Mildred didn't cry when she was born. She just gaped up at her father with his same dark eyes. In the moment, he was completely engulfed by his new daughter. He had forgotten all about why she had been born. His concubine's sobs alarmed him. No one told him anything. They had just left.

"What's happened?" Leto asked Jessica.

She didn't look at him. Instead, she faced away from him. "I've failed! I've failed! She is powerless. She will be nothing."

Leto drew back slightly. Nothing? Their daughter would be more than nothing even if she didn't posses her mother's power. "Jessica, it's alright. W-We could try again, when she's older."

"No!" She yelled through sobs. "You don't understand. I will be labeled as a failure. They won't allow me to try again."

"We don't exactly need their permission." He attempted to make her feel better.

"Leave me." She said quietly.

"Jessica, you're her mother. She needs-"

"I said leave me!" She cut him off.

Leto looked at her broken-heartedly before standing to his full height with his daughter in his arms. He would give Jessica space as much as it hurt him that she wasn't as in love with their daughter as he was. Perhaps she never intended to see the tiny baby as a child, but as an object. He cradled her close to his chest as he left the room and walked towards the main area of their home.

He stood on the balcony overlooking the vast ocean. He needed the fresh air after being in such stale air for a while. He again looked down at his daughter who was now sleeping. She was wrapped in a white, linen blanket tightly snugged around her body. In addition to her eyes being like her father's, she also had his dark hair. All he wanted to do was stare at her.

He wondered how something so tiny would one day rule over Caladan just as he did. He wondered who she would grow to be. Quiet. Witty. Strong. There were so many possibilities for her to become. Mostly, he wanted her to be happy. Happy. Leto started to wonder if her mother would ever be happy with their daughter. Perhaps the disappointment would wear off and she would be happy. She would cherish their daughter just as he would.