Into the Inferno

Zuko vs. Azula

~~~

Ivana stared up at the comet streaking across the sky. "You know, when you become the Firelord, I think you should rename this comet. Sozin doesn't deserve it," Ivana said. "It's too beautiful for him."

"I bet Sokka's already got one picked out," Katara joked, trying to keep the atmosphere light, despite what they were about to do. Zuko stayed silent and the girls shared a look.

"Zuko, don't worry. We can take Azula," Katara said, trying to calm his nerves. His knuckles were white as he gripped Appa's reins.

"It's not her I'm worried about. I'm worried about Aang. What if he doesn't have the guts to take out my father? What if he loses?" Zuko said.

"Aang won't lose. He's gonna come back. He has to," Katara said, determined.

"She's right. His past lives are there to help him fulfill his destiny for reason," Ivana said. Katara decided to keep the fact that his past lives were locked away to herself. She still had faith in Aang.

~~~

They approached the palace, Katara spotted Azula and fire sages. They landed just as the sage was about to crown Azula Firelord.

"Sorry, but you're not gonna become Firelord today. I am," Zuko said as he jumped off Appa. Katara and Ivana followed. So dramatic.

Azula laughed. "You're hilarious!"

"And you're going down," Katara said.

The sage behind Azula was about to continue with her coronation when she signaled for him to stop. "Wait. You want to be Fire Lord? Fine. Let's settle this. Just you and me, brother. The showdown that was always meant to be. Agni Kai!" Azula grinned.

"You're on," Zuko said. Ivana felt fear in her chest as he agreed to another Agni Kai.

"What are you doing? She's playing you. She knows she can't take us all, so she's trying to separate us," Katara said.

"I know. But I can take her this time."

"Zuko, don't do this. It's safer if we fight together," Ivana pleaded. He's got to stop accepting these Agni Kai challenges.

"There's something off about her; I can't explain it but she's slipping. And this way, no one else has to get hurt," Zuko said. Katara nodded, while Ivana fought him on his decision.

"But you could get hurt," Ivana said, grabbing his arm. He brushed her off.

"You told me to focus, so I'm focusing. Stay here and stay safe," Zuko ordered. Ivana frowned while he went to the edge of the courtyard and kneeled. Azula did the same on the other side. They both stood up and turned around. Azula removed her unnecessary garments from the ceremony.

"I'm sorry it has to end this way, brother," Azula said, sarcastically.

"No, you're not," Zuko said, taking his stance.

Azula grinned and assumed her own stance, one that was slightly off balance. She spun around and sent a blast of blue fire towards Zuko. He sent his own wall of flame back. Ivana watched the incredible display, fear sitting on her chest. The walls of fire dissipated, letting Azula to fire off a few blasts from her feet with spinning kicks. They continued to shoot fire at each other. Ivana watched as a few buildings were set on fire from the massive blasts of flames. Azula was unrelenting. Ivana saw Zuko being pushed farther and farther back, but he regained his footing and sent another blast at Azula. His fire sent the plaza behind her on fire, causing her to stop and look at the damage. Ivana was surprised that she looked so scared.

The moment of stillness passed before Azula sent another blast at Zuko. Instead of dodging, he cut through the wall of flame. The fire died down as Azula crouched down. She was panting, getting tired from the fight. Zuko sent another attack her way. She looked at the fire fearfully before jumping out of the way.

"She's losing," Ivana whispered to Katara. She nodded in response, their eyes never leaving the fight. The siblings continued to fight. Zuko finally landed a blow, sending Azula to the ground. She got up, clearly in pain, and seething with anger.

"No lightning today? What's the matter? Afraid I'll redirect it?" Zuko taunted, going through the redirection motion.

"Oh, I'll show you lightning!" Azula said, clearly unhinged. Azula gathered the electricity, getting ready to fire it. Ivana noticed her stance was unbalanced again. Zuko got ready to redirect her blast. Ivana froze when she realized Azula was looking directly at her. Zuko seemed to notice too as he ran to redirect it away from her. The rest was a blur. Ivana screamed as Zuko hit the ground. Katara yelled out and ran to him as Zuko rolled over, clutching his wound.

Ivana tore her eyes off Zuko to watch Azula. She swayed as she walked side to side as she laughed maniacally. She was filled with blind rage. The heat she radiated was powerful as she ran toward Azula, who in turn ran toward her. They soon clashed.