The Swamp

The Ostrich Horse

~~~

After spending two days in the forest, using up the leftovers from their dinner at Song's house, and traveling a little farther south, they arrived in an Earth Kingdom village. Iroh had resorted to begging on the street, much to Zuko's displeasure. Ivana could only agree with Iroh that it was their best option for the day.

"Spare coins for weary travelers?" Iroh asked a passing man. He tossed two copper pieces into Iroh's hat. When he passed, Zuko turned to Iroh, seething.

"This is humiliating! We're royalty! These people should be giving us whatever we want." Ivana frowned at his behavior, while Iroh ignored it.

"They will if you ask nicely." A nicely dressed woman walked by. Iroh put on an act, "Spare change for a hungry old man?"

The woman took out a coin. "Aw, here you go."

"The coin is appreciated, but not as much as your smile!" Iroh said cheerfully. The woman giggled at his comment. Ivana bowed to her as the woman continued on her way. Zuko slapped his forehead at Iroh's behavior.

Another Earth Kingdom citizen walked past. This time a man with dual swords strapped to his back. He stopped and smiled at them. "How about some entertainment in exchange for... a gold piece?" he offered, pulling out the gold piece for dramatic effect.

"We're not performers," Zuko grunted, annoyed with the request.

"Not professional anyway," Iroh said, putting his hat aside and standing up. He started singing. "It's a long, long way to Ba Sing Se, but the girls in the city, they look so pretty!" Ivana smiled, having always enjoyed Iroh's singing. That was until the man with the swords became hostile.

"Come on, we're talking a gold piece here! Let's see some action! Dance!" he said harshly, taking out his swords and slicing the ground at Iroh's feet.

Ivana stood, getting between the man and Iroh. "I'll dance," she insisted, refusing to let this man try to humiliate Iroh. They both nodded as Iroh continued to sing. Ivana did a few twirls and movements until the man was satisfied with his entertainment.

"They kiss so sweet that you really got to meet the girls from Ba Sing Se!"

"Ha, ha! Here ya go!" the man said, tossing them the gold coin. Ivana sat down, feeling slightly burned at the man's actions. He walked away.

"Such a kind man," Iroh said.

"A rude man is more like it," Ivana huffed under her breath. She hated the disrespect they received. She could have cared less that it was for a gold piece. Zuko seemed to feel the same way as he shook with anger.

After they spent the day begging for coins, they bought dinner and retreated into the forest to make camp in a clearing. Zuko took the first watch, while Iroh fell asleep within a few minutes. Ivana stared up at the canopy of trees above them, thinking about the last few days. She felt a lot of guilt each time she thought about Song and how they stole her family's ostrich horse. She should have made him put it back. She should have done something different.

Despite her wandering mind, she fell asleep.

~~~

The next morning, Ivana woke up, still feeling the same as she had the night before. When it was time for them to move on, she refused to get on the ostrich horse. This of course led to a huge argument with Zuko.

"Don't yell at me! It's not my fault we're in this situation!" Ivana yelled at Zuko. They were walking behind Iroh and the ostrich horse.

"Then stop making me out to be the bad guy! I did what I had to for you and Uncle! So shut up about it already!" Zuko shouted back.

"Do not tell me to shut up! Go jump off a cliff!"

"You can't talk to me like that! I'm still royalty!"

"Zuko, don't shout that. You don't know who could be listening," Iroh warned from in front of them.

"Stay out of this Uncle!"

"Don't yell at him!" Ivana said as she stopped walking.

"I can do what I want!" Zuko shouted, stopping to face her.

"Go- go-!" she started, trying to come up with an insult, but they weren't her forte. She yelled out in frustration. "Arggh! I'm done! Good luck on your own, you complete and utter jerk!" She turned around and started to stomp away.

"What do you think you're doing?" Zuko huffed.

"I'm leaving. I'm done listening to you yell at me and your uncle. I can't do this anymore. It doesn't work anymore. Good luck, or whatever," she said, waving without looking back.

"Ivana are you sure you want to do this?" Iroh questioned. He had been trying to stay out of their argument.

"Yes," she said. Zuko only stared at her as she walked away. When she was out of sight, he climbed onto the ostrich horse and he and his uncle continued on their path.

Ivana stomped away, fuming. Who does he think he is? He isn't entitled to anything! As far as I'm concerned we are just like Earth Kingdom Refugees displaced by the war. He didn't have any right to take that ostrich horse. He doesn't have any right to yell at me or Iroh. He can go jump in the river! Oh, ha, that's what Katara told him. I can't believe that was almost four months ago.

Ivana started to cool off and realize what she'd done. I just broke my promise, I left him. I promised to stay by his side. I promised I wouldn't leave. Oh my spirits. Her mind continued to wander, though she didn't change the direction she walked. She kept walking in the opposite direction of Zuko. She needed some time to herself.