The Siege of the North: Part 1

The Murderer and The Traitor

~~~

Ivana looked out over the water. She was dressed in as many layers as she could manage. They were only hours away from being at war with the water tribe. She couldn't help but dread what was coming for those people. Iroh stood beside her and next to him stood her uncle. She had no choice but to be in his presence, even though it infuriated her.

"This will truly be one for the history books, General Iroh. Just think, centuries from now, people will study the great Admiral Zhao, who destroyed the last of the Water Tribe civilization. You're lucky you're here to see it," Zhao bragged.

"Be careful what you wish for, Admiral. History is not always kind to its subjects," Iroh warned.

"I suppose you speak from experience, but rest assured. This will be nothing like your legendary failure at Ba Sing Se," Zhao said casually. He took a step forward on the balcony.

"I hope not, for your sake," Iroh sighed with sadness. Ivana put a hand on his shoulder, giving him comfort.

"Tell the captains to prepare for first strike," Zhao ordered. They did as they were told before meeting Zuko in a hallway on the ship. Zuko was dressed in a soldier disguise because they figured Zhao was responsible for his attempted assassination.

"We'll be landing soon. Do you have a plan?" Iroh whispered.

Zuko pulled down the white mask in his helmet. "I'm working on it, Uncle." He put the piece back on his helmet before they parted ways. Iroh led Ivana to another part of the ship for a tea break.

"This will calm and warm your body, dear," Iroh said, handing her a cup of tea.

"Is it obvious how uncomfortable I am?" Ivana sighed, taking a sip. Iroh poured himself a cup as well.

"Only to those who have known you since you were small," Iroh chuckled. Ivana did the same. "You have a lot on your mind?"

"Probably the same as you. I'm just worried about him, is all. This isn't a good situation. Plus, I don't want to be around Zhao. My grandfather still won't tell me what he did," Ivana said, tracing the rim of her cup with her thumb.

"Do you remember your father at all?" Iroh asked, causing Ivana to look up before looking back down at her tea with a smile. 

"I remember his smile and the way his hugs felt, but not much else. He was deployed right after I was born and didn't return until I was three. He had to leave again after my fourth birthday and he never came back," Ivana explained. 

~~~

"Dad!" Ivana cried, running to hug her father. 

Genkei wrapped her in a warm hug before pulling away to look at her. He wouldn't see her for two more years and wanted to remember his daughter's face."Ina! I wanted to say goodbye before I left," he smiled warmly. His beard tickled her face as she giggled. "Do you want to know a secret?" he asked her. 

"Yes! Yes!" she exclaimed, jumping up and down. 

"I love you more than the sun and the moon," he grinned. 

~~~

"Ah, yes, I remember. He was a very honorable man. I remember giving him a few lessons during my time at home when Lu Ten was just a boy," Iroh smiled. 

"I remember my grandfather saying he spent some time with you. You know, I always wondered why my family's legacy skipped a generation. I mean my great grandfather and Sozin, my grandfather and Azulon, and now me and Zuko. Why didn't my father or Zhao bond with you or Ozai?"