Nightmares and Daydreams

Teaching and Mochi

~~~

It had been more than a month since Zuko and Ivana snuck into the catacombs. Ivana continued with her daily routine of tea with her grandfather and then walked down the volcano to teach the children in one of the servant's housings. She packed three of Quin's books, including his copy of Love Amongst the Dragons.

"Ivana, dear. I made extra mochi. Maybe you could take some to Zuko. He always enjoyed them when you were kids," Ru said, poking her head in the doorway. Ivana nodded, figuring a stop at the palace wouldn't hurt. Ru left the mochi on her desk. Ivana finished preparing before leaving the house and heading for the palace.

When she arrived she decided the best bet on Zuko's location would be the duck pond. And she was right. "Miss me?" she asked, causing him to look up. She saw something flash in his eyes but his expression was the same. Something was upsetting him. "What's going on, Zuko?" Ivana asked as she sat next to him by the turtle duck pond.

"My father didn't invite me to the war meeting," Zuko grumbled, staring at the turtle ducks. "Azula thinks it's because I'm expected to be there."

"Well... maybe she's right," Ivana shrugged.

"I'm not going. You remember the last time, it can only go badly with my luck," Zuko huffed.

"I understand," Ivana said, looking up at the sky before turning to face him. "Ru made Mochi." Something flickered in his eyes again as he made a grab for the parcel in her lap. "Ah ah ah, you need to go on a field trip with me first." He huffed and pouted. "C'mon Zuko. You aren't twelve anymore," she chuckled, standing. "Follow me."

"Alright, fine," Zuko said, standing up. Ivana led him down the mountain. Zuko caught her up on what he'd been doing the last month. When he asked what she had been doing, Ivana shrugged.

"I've been teaching mostly. I've almost gone through all of Quin's things. I'll be starting on Botan's soon. I've been wearing their clothes actually..." Ivana said, shrugging, looking down at her robes.

"Oh yeah. I noticed." Ivana furrowed her brow. Zuko never noticed things.

They finally made it to one of the housings. Ivana knocked on the first door in a row of tiny apartments. A girl a few years younger than them opened it.

"Good morning, Yua," Ivana smiled. Yua smiled at Ivana before noticing Zuko. She bowed to him. Ivana noticed her muscles tense. "Yua, it's okay. He isn't like them. Pretend he's not here," Ivana insisted, putting a hand on her shoulder. Yua nodded.

"I welcome you to my home, your highness. I'm afraid it's a little bit of a disaster." Yua let them in. Ivana stepped inside, instantly being bombarded by five children.

"Ms. 'Vana!" one of the children cried happily, giving her a hug. Ivana smiled, bending down to hug them back.

"I told you guys. You don't need to call me Miss," she said, laughing.

"Mama, says we should."

"So does mine."

"Me too!"

Ivana laughed at their excitement. "I brought someone with me today as well as a treat. This is Prince Zuko. He wants to help me teach you guys," she said, gesturing towards Zuko. The children shrank back. "It's okay. He won't hurt you. He's good," Ivana said.

"I saw him yelling at Princess Azula once," one of the kids said and the rest of the children oo'd in understanding. Ivana stifled a laugh as the kids looked to Yua. She nodded hesitantly, but the children ran over to him all the same.