The Avatar Returns

Dragon Lilies

~~~

"That's the avatar? He's kind of young," Ivana pointed out, looking the avatar up and down. "And he's an Airbender. How is that even possible?" The Avatar waved at her with a goofy smile, causing her to give him a small smile back before looking at Zuko. 

"I don't know, and I don't care. Take the Avatar to the prison hold, and take this to my quarters," Zuko demanded, handing Iroh the Avatar's staff. Zuko walked away, leaving Ivana with the others. As moody as ever.

Two soldiers took Aang below deck while Iroh turned to a soldier and handed him the staff. "Hey, you mind taking this to his quarters for me?" Iroh started walking away, Ivana followed him.

"So we're really going back to the capital?" Ivana asked, looking down at the ground as she trailed after him. Sorrow filled her voice.

"I suppose so. Why?" Iroh asked, raising an eyebrow at the girl. Despite having spent so long traveling with her, he couldn't think of a reason why she wouldn't want to go home.

"Oh, no reason. I just wanted to let my grandfather know in the letter I've been working on. He'll be glad to see me," she said, parting ways with Iroh at the door to his quarters. Iroh watched her go, knowing something was bothering her.

Ivana rushed to her quarters and slammed the door shut. She put her hands on her chest and shoulder as her scar started to burn just like it did six years ago. Could I really go back to the capital? After everything that happened, I can't go back to living in fear. Despite missing my grandfather, I can't. Out here I have nothing to be afraid of.

Ivana laid down on her bed and closed her eyes, trying to get herself to relax. But maybe Zuko would go back to the person he used to be. Maybe he'd actually be happy again after we return. She turned on her side and stared at the metal wall. She missed the old Zuko.

~~~

Ivana found herself thrown from her bed as the ship crashed. She rushed to the top deck and found half an iceberg was on top of the ship. She approached Zuko and Iroh who were discussing the damage. "What happened?" she asked.

"The Avatar escaped. But, good news for the Fire Lord. The Fire Nation's greatest threat is just a little kid," Iroh stated.

Zuko held back his rage. "That "kid", Uncle, just did this," he gestured to the ship's damage. "I won't underestimate him again." He turned to the soldiers and pointed at the ice. "Dig the ship out and follow them!" He blinked, realizing they were still trying to defrost the other soldiers in ice. "As soon as you're done with that."

"He did this?" Ivana said, concerned. "Did anyone get hurt? Zuko, are you okay?"

"I'm fine!" he hissed, stomping down below deck, slamming the door behind him. Ivana cringed at the noise. She ran after him, catching the door to his quarters right before he shut it.

"You aren't fine. You may be a jerk, but I'm not going to let you stew in your anger because I'm your friend. So we can either meditate like we normally do or we can talk about it," she said. He only grunted at her and pulled out his alter and sat before gesturing for her to sit on the other side. She couldn't help but smile at her victory.

Ivana sat down ans Zuko held out his hands. She put her hands in his as they synchronized their breathing with the candles in front of them. She felt how tense he was and frowned. "It's okay. You'll capture him soon. Just focus on me," Ivana said calmly. They both closed their eyes and let the energy flow between them. "You're still tense," Ivana whispered. "Do you want to try with our eyes opened like we used to do?" Ivana offered, hoping maybe having that extra awareness would calm him.

"No," he said firmly. Ivana nodded and brought her attention back to meditating. I don't know what I expected. We haven't truly meditated together since before his banishment.

~~~

"My grandpa told me something really cool today! Let's try it," Ivana said, sitting across from Zuko instead of next to him. "Hold my hands!" Zuko did as he was told and took her hands. "Okay, now look at my eyes," she said.

"Now what?" he asked nervously, feeling his cheeks heat up as he stared into her eyes.

"We just do this and match our breathing with the candle together. It's about being aware of each other rather than the world. He said he used to do it all the time with my grandmother," Ivana explained with a smile. They both focused on the candle in front of them, relaxing as they looked at each other.

Ivana's smile never wavered as she studied every part of his golden eyes. They were the same color as the statue of a dragon that her grandfather had in his house. Zuko stared back at her, his ears turning pink. Her brown eyes reminded him of her hair and her hair always smelled like dragon lilies. His mind wandered as he stared into her eyes.

~~~

"Prince Zuko," lieutenant Jee interrupted, "I"m sorry for disturbing you, but the ship has been dug out. The damage is serious and the engineer recommends we stop for repairs. There's a shipyard not too far from our location." Zuko was standing and in the lieutenant's face within a few seconds.

"Then that's where we go. I don't want anything slowing us down. Now get out," he demanded, slamming the door in the lieutenant's face. He sat back down across from Ivana. She frowned at him.

"That was a bit unnecessary," she said, calmly. Despite how much his attitude bothered her, she didn't want to leave in the middle of their session. She held out her hands for him to take. "Try to calm down, okay? It's just you and me."

"You should just go, Ivana," Zuko huffed, looking away from her. She frowned.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! Just get out," he snapped, turning back to her. She flinched at his sudden severity before getting up to leave.

She stood by the door, looking to the side. "If you change your mind, I'll be meditating in my room." She left and walked the few steps down the hall to her room. She closed the door behind her and took a deep breath, trying to calm the anger and hurt in her chest. Today was hard enough on him. I don't need to blow up at him right now, despite how upset I feel.