Lake Laogai

Freeing Appa

~~~

It had been almost a month since Ivana, Iroh, and Zuko arrived in Ba Sing Se and started working at the tea shop. In that time it had become the most popular tea shop in the lower ring. Both Ivana and Zuko were constantly circling tables while Iroh made tea. Ivana finished clearing her tray of tea, moving up to the front to grab two teapots for refills. She turned around to find a finely dressed man in the doorway. He walked towards Iroh and spoke, "So, you're the genius behind this incredible brew. The whole city is buzzing about you! I hope Pao pays you well."

"Good tea is its own reward," Iroh replied humbly. Ivana kept her ear on the conversation as she refilled a customer's cup.

"But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?" the man asked Iroh. Ivana perked up.

"My own tea shop? This is a dream come true!" Iroh gasped.

Pao rushed to stand between Iroh and the man, having overheard. "What's going on here? Are you trying to poach my tea-maker?"

"Sorry Pao, but that's business for you, am I right?" the man said with a grin. This guy is a little shady.

"Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you assistant manager. Wait, senior assistant manager!" Pao said, trying to convince him. Pfft, good luck, Pao.

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring. The tea shop is yours to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom," the man offered. Ivana knew the offer was too good for Iroh to pass up.

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asked.

"Of course!" the man beamed.

"Uh, senior executive assistant manager?" Pao tried again. She rolled her eyes. If that was all he could offer Iroh after the business he brought in then they needed to leave. Iroh looked at Zuko and Ivana before handing Pao his teapot. He bowed to the man.

"Did you hear, nephew? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the Upper Ring of the city!" Iroh said excitedly as Zuko passed by.

"That's right, young man, your life is about to change for the better!" the man said.

"I'll try to contain my joy," Zuko said, leaving the tea shop and slamming the door shut behind him. Ivana poured one last cup of tea before going to the counter and returning her apron.

"Thank you, Pao. I'm afraid I'll have to leave as well. Good luck to your shop," Ivana said bowing before following Zuko out the door. He was nowhere to be found, so she headed home, wanting to make a celebratory meal for Iroh before they had to start packing.

~~~

Ivana prepared one last meal in their apartment while Iroh packed for their new apartment. She looked up when she saw Zuko enter. "Where were you?" Zuko ignored her question before seeking his uncle.

"So, I was thinking about names for my new tea shop. How about the Jasmine Dragon? It's dramatic, poetic, has a nice ring to it," Iroh said, rambling a bit.

Zuko held up a flyer. "The Avatar is here in Ba Sing Se and he's lost his bison," Zuko said.

Iroh grabbed the flyer from him, frowning. "We have a chance for a new life here. If you start stirring up trouble, we could lose all the good things that are happening for us."

"Good things that are happening for you! Have you ever thought that I want more from life than a nice apartment and a job serving tea?" Zuko spat angrily. Ivana frowned at him.