The Ember Island Players (Part One)

The Play

~~~

Ivana watched Zuko and Aang practice firebending while Katara did her hair. She watched as they finished, each exhaling deeply before bowing to each other. They walked over. "Doesn't it seem kind of weird that we're hiding from the Fire Lord in his own house?" Katara asked.

"I told you, my father hasn't come here since our family was actually happy. And that was a long time ago. It's the last place anyone would think to look for us," Zuko explained, sitting next to Ivana. Ivana smiled when she felt his hand touch hers.

Ever since the other night, she felt a pit in her stomach. She couldn't quite tell if it was dread or emotions that she had pushed down. Maybe both. Sometimes holding Zuko's hand helped, others it made the pit heavier.

Ivana looked up to see Sokka and Suki running up the path. Sokka looked ecstatic. "You guys are not gonna believe this! There's a play about us."

"We were just in town and we found this poster!" Suki said excitedly as Sokka held up the poster.

"What? How is that possible?" Katara asked.

"Listen to this ... 'The Boy in the Iceberg is a new production from acclaimed playwright Pu-on Tim, who scoured the globe gathering information on the Avatar, from the icy South Pole to the heart of Ba Sing Se. His sources include singing nomads, pirates, prisoners of war, and a surprisingly knowledgeable merchant of cabbage'."

"Brought to you by the critically acclaimed Ember Island Players," Suki finished.

"Ugh! My mother used to take us to see them. They butchered Love Amongst the Dragons every year!" Zuko huffed. Ivana giggled, patting his shoulder.

"It wasn't that bad. We got to stay up late," Ivana said.

"Sokka, do you really think it's a good idea for us to attend a play about ourselves?" Katara asked. Ivana knew she might have a point.

"Come on, a day at the theater? This is the kind of wacky time-wasting nonsense I've been missing!" Sokka said with a wide grin, holding up the poster.

~~~

They ultimately decided to go. They found seats in the back balcony. Ivana sat next to Katara and Zuko followed. "Hey, uh ... I wanted to sit there," Aang said, pointing at the two of them.

"Just sit next to Sokka," Zuko replied.

"I was just, I wanted to ... okay," Aang relented, moving to sit next to Sokka. Ivana elbowed Zuko.

"He has a crush on Katara you doof," Ivana whispered in his ear so Katara couldn't hear. Zuko looked at her surprised before turning his attention toward the closed curtain. Ivana shook her head. Boys were so dense.

"Why are we sitting in the nosebleed section? My feet can't see a thing from up here!" Toph said, a bit frustrated.

"Don't worry, I'll tell your feet what's happening," Katara promised.

Ivana watched as the curtain rose to show the South Pole. Both Katara and Sokka were represented on the stage, creating excitement for them both. However, it didn't last. They watched as they realized their characters weren't very accurate. The audience laughed around them.

"This is pathetic! My jokes are way funnier than this!" Sokka gasped. Ivana had to agree. Sokka was at least a little bit funnier than this guy.

"I think he's got you pegged!" Toph said, laughing.

Katara's character began an over-dramatized speech. Suki and Sokka held back laughter, while the others smiled. Katara however was displeased. "Well, that's just silly. I don't sound like that."