The Desert

Stop and Smell the Roses

~~~

It had been almost a month since they tried to bend lightning. Ivana held the reins to the ostrich horse as they traveled down the road. Iroh was pretending to be in pain with frequent groans.

"Maybe we should make camp," Zuko suggested, believing his uncle's act.

"No please, don't stop just for me!" he said dramatically. They continued for a few more minutes until Iroh let out a few more theatrical groans. Ivana pulled on the reins, annoyed by his performance. Zuko dismounted, helping his uncle down. The ostrich horse screeched, startled by something. Zuko took up a defensive stance, surveying the surrounding forest.

"What now?" Iroh sighed, annoyed that they couldn't seem to get a break. It wouldn't be their first ambush since their faces appeared on wanted posters everywhere. They were soon surrounded by four men on komodo rhinos.

"Colonel Mongke! What a pleasant surprise!" Iroh said, recognizing the men.

"If you're surprised we're here, then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps," Colonel Mongke said. His Rough Rhinos prepared for battle, readying their weapons.

"You know these guys?" Zuko asked, surprised.

"Sure. Colonel Mongke and the Rough Rhinos are legendary. Each one is a different kind of weapon specialist. They are also a very capable singing group," Iroh joked with a smile.

"We're not here to give a concert. We're here to apprehend fugitives!"

"Would you like some tea first? I'd love some. How about you, Kahchi? I make you as a jasmine man. Am I right?" Iroh asked, rubbing his beard.

"Enough stalling! Round 'em up!" Mongke shouted. One of the men swung a ball and chain at Iroh. He kicked it away, the chain wrapping around another man's rhino. Iroh did a somersault, dodging two blasts from Mongke. He stood, smacking the rhino's rear end. The first man got yanked off his rhino. Iroh waved at them as the rhino charged back down the path.

Another man shot an arrow at Zuko. He deflected it and shot fire back, putting a hole through his bow. Mongke threw fire blasts at Iroh, but he dodged each one. Zuko took advantage of Mongke's focus being on Iroh and threw him off his rhino with a few powerful fire blasts.

Ivana helped Iroh mount the Ostrich horse before riding toward Zuko. He jumped on and they rode away. One of the Rough Rhino men followed. He threw a grenade at them, but missed, allowing them to slip through the smoke.

"It's nice to see old friends," Iroh said.

"Too bad you don't have any old friends that don't want to attack you," Zuko huffed.

"Hey! My grandfather wouldn't want to attack him," Ivana pointed out. 

"Yeah, but your grandfather is in the fire nation," Zuko said, rolling his eyes. "I mean old friends in the Earth Kingdom or in the colonies that don't want to attack him." 

"Hmmm... Old friends that don't want to attack me..." Ivana led the ostrich horse down the path, waiting for some kind of direction. She watched the landscape pass by, grateful for the warmer weather. That was one thing she missed about the homeland besides her grandfather, Ru, and Jojo. 

"I have an idea... why don't you let me steer for a while so you can get some rest?" Iroh said, knowing she still hadn't been sleeping well. Ivana nodded, pulling on the reins before dismounting. Iroh scooched forward and so did Zuko. Ivana climbed back on behind him. Iroh took them off the road toward the distant desert. Ivana held onto Zuko, resting her head on the back of his shoulder. She drifted off soon, having not slept well the previous night. She snored softly against his shoulder.