The Winter Solstice: Part 1

Stinky Sandal

~~~

"Uncle! Ivana! It's time to leave! Where are you?" Ivana heard Zuko shouting in the forest and crashing through the undergrowth. She leaned back in her hot spring, closing her eyes, enjoying the warmth. Finally some relief from the cold.

"Over here!" Iroh called from his hot spring next to hers. Ivana frowned knowing that their break would be over now that Zuko found them.

"Really? We need to move on. We're closing in on the Avatar's trail and I don't want to lose him ," Zuko explained, examining the two as they relaxed. Ivana opened an eye to look at him, before closing it and resuming her leisure time.

"You look tired, Prince Zuko. Why don't you join us in these hot springs and soak away your troubles?" Iroh offered, relaxing in the hot water.

"My troubles cannot be soaked away. It's time to go!" Zuko shouted. 

"You should take your teacher's advice and relax a little. The temperature's just right. I heated it myself," he said before blowing steam out of his nose. Ivana did the same, before sighing at her newfound warmth.

Zuko swatted the steam away. "Enough! We need to leave now. Get out of the water!" Ivana sighed, doing as she was told. She stretched as she left the warmth of the steamy water. She shivered when the cold hit her tunic. The cold fabric clung to her body before she steamed herself dry.

"Very well!" Iroh announced, getting up and showing Zuko his skimpy swimsuit. Ivana knew better and turned her back as she put on her robes. She laughed when she saw Zuko's reaction. Serves you right.

Zuko shielded his eyes. "On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes? But be back at the ship in a half-hour or we're leaving without you!"

Iroh sighed as he slumped back into the water. Ivana followed Zuko out of the forest, shivering a bit as they walked. "You really can't let us relax for a few hours, can you? I was just getting in a zen mood. Plus, it's still so cold," she huffed, clutching her robes closer to her body.

"I don't care. We need to get moving if I'm to capture the avatar!" Zuko snapped, leading her on board the ship. Touchy.

Ivana rolled her eyes. "Whatever," she sighed, heading for her quarters. She changed into proper clothes before sitting in front of her meditation altar. She began to meditate to forget troubles, enjoying the heat from the candles in front of her.

After a while, Ivana decided she needed to write to her grandfather. She got up and sat at her desk, stretching a bit before starting. 

Dear Grandfather,

How are you feeling? Ru sends me a letter on your condition every week, so please don't lie. I know it's getting worse. Say the word and I will come home on the next ship. Like he's going to do that. He's the one who told me to go.

Everything here is fine. Zuko is as angry as ever. We've been following the Avatar's trail for about a month now. Zuko's had a few run-ins, though I haven't gotten a look at him yet. 

I've been missing home lately. I miss you most of all, but I also miss Ru and Jojo. Have you taught him to do a backflip yet? I know it was on your list. And has Ru made her spring pastries yet? Maybe I'll make it home for them this year. Iroh would definitely appreciate them.

Speaking of Iroh, he's been teaching me new Pai Sho techniques every week, though I'm sure you'd rather hear how my firebending is going. He says I won't improve without dueling with someone other than Zuko. But you know I'm not comfortable with that, so I guess this is as good as I'll ever get. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.